Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing my timing belt, water pump, etc. The mechanic noticed a torn boot on the right side, I was told the repair would cost aroung $200 because of the Rav's all wheel drive. I was not aware that my basic Rav had all wheel drive.

Is this so or is the basic model a two wheel drive vehicle.

Thanks.

TK

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: What wheel drive....RAV 97

TKHawaii said:
While doing my timing belt, water pump, etc. The mechanic noticed a torn boot on the right side, I was told the repair would cost aroung $200 because of the RAV's all wheel drive. I was not aware that my basic RAV had all wheel drive.

Is this so or is the basic model a two wheel drive vehicle.

Thanks.

TK
Most Rav4s are all wheel drive. Some are 2wd, it wouldn't matter which it was because they both use the same front end parts. Now this torn boot could be the boot on the CV joint or the boot on the strut. Both can be replaced in just a few minutes with an aftermarket split boot but if you want to do it properly with a factory boot you do have to completely remove the part.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand it is the CV boot. Also, the mechanic is changing the oil seals, says they are leaking. However, I have no oil marks on my concrete garage floor....nothing except for an occasional water drip from the AC.

Would there be oil marks if these were leaking ?

·
Registered
881 Posts
TKHawaii said:
From what I understand it is the CV boot. Also, the mechanic is changing the oil seals, says they are leaking. However, I have no oil marks on my concrete garage floor....nothing except for an occasional water drip from the AC.

Would there be oil marks if these were leaking ?
Again it depends on what seals he's talking about, but typically if something in the axle area were leaking and it had not already run out of gear oil, it would leave spots on the floor.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe they said it was the engine oil seals, front back or both.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And if it were leaking that bad, I would know it correct...oil stains etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts