Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August is over, so it's almost winter up here :wink . For those of you who run winter tires, what do you have, or what will you be getting?

I've been running Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's on my Camry for the last 6 years, and they've been great to me, but have also had General Tire Altimax Arctic's that worked well and were much cheaper. I'll be looking for an aggressive tread that's good in deep snow, since it's the major thing we've been dealing with out here. I'm interested in the Nokian Nordman line, which looks to be a cheaper line of Nokian winters. Has anyone ever run these?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have 16" Cooper discoverer m+s winter tires. Work well in snow. Nice blocky tread. Stud holes(I dont use them though). Lots of sipes. Although I am no expert, that's just what I have. I haven't tried many other winter tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a2015 XLE a few weeks ago. I just ordered General Altimax Arctics for the Rav. It came with 17's but I decided to go with 16" rims that I got in trade from a buddy and will mount the Generals on the 16's. In the Chicago area you never know what winter combination you will get. Snow, ice, freezing rain, blizzard or a mix of all things, ha-ha. I had General Grabber AT's on my Dodge and they were great. I used them as winter only wheels. As I plan the same for these. Hopefully they will be as good. We will see, as I usually leave for work before the snow plows are out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... For those of you who run winter tires, what do you have, or what will you be getting?
Our new-to-us 2011 RAV needs new summer and winter tires. I'm starting with the winter ones because, as you know, that is the next season for us Canuks and it's only a few months away.

I spent many hours researching tires and for the winters, the Nokian Hakkapelitas R2 SUV seem to be head and shoulders above anything else. Only Kal Tire in Canada has access to these.

The next tier for winters was a closer race (in no order) with the Micheline X-Ice Xi3's, General Altimax Arctic and the Bridgestone DM-V1 rating highly and getting good professional and consumer reviews.

For summer tires, unfortunately there was no one clear cut leader. It depends on your needs, driving style and conditions.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been using General Altimax's on several of my cars over the last 10 years and won't use anything else. Quiet, durable and inexpensive. It checks all the right boxes for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ran the Toyo Observe GSI-5 on my corolla the last 5yrs and was so impressed with them I'm going with the same tire on the Rav. Mine came with 18's so I went with 17" for winter....

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just got the blizzak dm v1 16" from tirerack along with a set of steelie from them too. No tpms will go with light on. First time trying everything. Spent more than I wanted too. O well. IT might be easier to just put them than going through the mount and remounting of tires every season.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
How many times can/should tires be remounted in their lifespan?

Any damage to be concerned about with the wheels due to excessive tire remounts?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I never thought about that in that way. A good point. For me this will be the first time doing the swap out of wheels for winter to all season. I use to just keep the same set on all the time and try and rotate them. Notice I said try to rotate tires. Also I would think it might be a problem with aluminum wheels maybe, if you kept remounting. I dont know never had aluminum wheels either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After doing some searching around, I've noticed that it seems the Nokian Nordman line looks to just be older tire designs re-branded and sold at a discount. There could be some minor changes, but they would at least save money on R&D since it's already a proven product.

for example the 6yo Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's I'm currently running on my Camry

The new Nokian Nordman 5

·
Registered
166 Posts
snipped & edited ... After doing some searching around, I've noticed that it seems the Nokian Nordman 5 line looks to just be older tire Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 design re-branded and sold at a discount. There could be some minor changes, but they would at least save money on R&D since it's already a proven product.
Nice pick off & great pics kinjero ... looks like you are absolutely spot on. Now, if only Nokian had a Nordman line that mimicked the Hakka R2 SUV tire at a discount ... I'd be all over that!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might have to wait a bit, but it should come eventually if the pattern stays the same. The Nordman line seems to be following the Hakkapeliitta line fairly close though. When they come out with a new Hakka design (every couple years or so) it looks like they push out a new Nordman tire. It seems it also used to vary, depending on if you live in Europe or NA. Europe usually getting the better Nordman tire first, and NA getting it a couple years later. This year however, it seems NA is getting the same Nordman tire as Europe. Probably due to higher demand for quality winter tires.

Another example.

The much older Nokian Hakka 4

Last season Nokian Nordman 4 in Europe

Last seasons Nordman 4 in Canada, also known as older Nordman 2 in Europe

Edit: I actually just found a couple examples of where the Canadian Nordman 4 design was sold as the Nordman 2 passenger car tire (about 4 years ago). Looks like it sold as the Nordman 4 SUV tire Last year, probably with minor changes to increase load capabilities.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... Might have to wait a bit, but it should come eventually if the pattern stays the same. The Nordman line seems to be following the Hakkapeliitta line fairly close though. When they come out with a new Hakka design (every couple years or so) it looks like they push out a new Nordman tire.
Unfortunately we can't wait. The new-to-us 2011 RAV we just bought needs rubber badly ... summer & winter. Our plan is to run the original Toyo's for another couple of months and then switch over to the Hakka R2 SUV's downsizing to 225/70r/16 from the 17's.

What are your impressions of the Hakka's from your Camry experience?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried several different styles of winter tire over the years. Michelin Xice, Goodyear ultra grip studded, Dunlop Graspic DS-1, General Tire Arctic studded.. The only one that felt close to the Hakka 5's bite, were the GT Arctic's, but they didn't have the same tread life. Mine are studded, so they are loud, and their dry condition performance is lower than non studded, but as far as dealing with worst case conditions, these Hakkas would be hard to beat. I live in Saint John, NB, where you may have heard of the record breaking winter we had last year. The Hakkas worked flawlessly, even after 6 years and about 50,000kms.

I'll probably be buying the Nordman 5 SUV studded this year, since we're still allowed to use studs in NB. They should have have similar specs to Hakka 5's I've been running, and at a discounted price, so to me it's a winner. Keep an eye out early October when Nokian usually puts out their winter tire rebate. It's typically been a $70 mail in rebate for purchase of 4 tires.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've tried several different styles of winter tire over the years. Michelin Xice, Goodyear ultra grip studded, Dunlop Graspic DS-1, General Tire Arctic studded.. The only one that felt close to the Hakka 5's bite, were the GT Arctic's, but they didn't have the same tread life. Mine are studded, so they are loud, and their dry condition performance is lower than non studded, but as far as dealing with worst case conditions, these Hakkas would be hard to beat. I live in Saint John, NB, where you may have heard of the record breaking winter we had last year. The Hakkas worked flawlessly, even after 6 years and about 50,000kms.

I'll probably be buying the Nordman 5 SUV studded this year, since we're still allowed to use studs in NB. They should have have similar specs to Hakka 5's I've been running, and at a discounted price, so to me it's a winner. Keep an eye out early October when Nokian usually puts out their winter tire rebate. It's typically been a $70 mail in rebate for purchase of 4 tires.
Thanks for sharing this useful information kinjero. I ran the Goodyear Nordic (from Canadian Tire) on our Camry wagon and they were satisfactory in the first two years ... then they started losing their "edge". I had the original Michelin X ice tires in the early 2000's ... they were absolutely horrible. I understand the latest generation are much better.

We watched the news last winter and saw how you folks down East were relentlessly hammered by the snow and winter weather ... unbelievable. If you say the Hakka's performed, then I believe you as there could not be a harsher test than what y'all went through last year. Thanks for the rebate tip ... I didn't know Nokian did this too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 4 Michelin X-Ice from my Acura RSX, they are 16" rim thinking of selling them on craigslist but since i saw some member on here post they use 16" for their winter tire rims, i will try it this winter and see if it work out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nanook, did you run the Hakka 8's last winter? If so, how did you like them?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts