Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked out and eliminated the wheel bearings as the cause. I put the vehicle up on blocks so the wheels would be free, I put it in every gear with engine running and cannot duplicate the noise, ran the speedo up to 60 in 5th gear! Turned the wheels from side to side, no noise. But when driving the rubbing sound starts in about 15-20 mph, increasingly gets louder to about 45-50, then stays steady and then decreases at about 60. If I slow to a stop the noise decreases until stopped. It sorta sounds like a wheel rubbing, perhaps on metal, but I inspected everywhere and do not see wear marks, it must be internal or in a place I cannot see. The one other thing is that prior to replacing struts the noise was significantly less. The sound is really like a combination of gear whine/wheel rubbing.
I've driven it over 3,000 miles like this but I don't dare press my luck anymore, I don't want to be stranded somewhere away from home so only drive it locally. Gas mileage is unaffected, steering and braking is unaffected. No abnormal tire wear. Only symptom is the noise as described but when wheel is turned to right even slightly it goes away but returns when straightened out. Turning to left neither increases nor decreases it.
With 253,000 miles, the front end does make some noises going over bumps it didn't make 100,000 miles ago, but Milwaukee streets are brutal, the worst I have ever driven.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Did you pull the pads? Could be something as simple as a stuck pad on one side of the vehicle. Uneven wearing of the pads can create symptoms like you're describing. Just a thought, worth checking

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the two things I know for sure it is not are the brakes and bearings
I am pretty certain it is in the drive train, but what I do not know

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
yes, the two things I know for sure it is not are the brakes and bearings
I am pretty certain it is in the drive train, but what I do not know
I would have thought the brake calipers may have been stuck but you said it is not the brakes I don't know what exactly you checked. Check if the caliper slider pins are working properly. Ensure you have enough grease so the caliper slider pin moves freely. Use silicone paste to lubricate the slide pins if necessary.

A stuck slider pin can make a rubbing noise as you describe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts