Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Rav4 LE AWD. I bought it new in August 2015. Six months out of the year it is stored in my garage not being used. I enjoy working on my vehicles and I'm able to do all the general maintenance myself. I always change the oil and filter among other things before I store the vehicle for the winter months.

I'm nearing the 10,000 mile mark and the first Toyota Care oil change since I owned the Rav. The first time I changed the oil and filter myself I had only 2,199 miles before storage. The second time I changed the oil and filter myself was at 7,901 miles before storage. I now have 9,100 miles on the Rav.

Other than changing the oil and filter and rotating the tires which I can do myself, do they check the transmission fluid and the other fluids? I'm thinking they don't because of the time it would take them to do it not having a dip stick. Perhaps someone reading this knows if they do or not. The only other fluids I know of is the antifreeze and brake fluid.

Other than getting a free oil change and tire rotation, would you make the appointment at the dealership and spend the day waiting there for the work to be done or just forget about doing it knowing you will be changing the oil and filter again before you place the vehicle in storage in a few months. Would not going void any warranty? The Rav is running fine with no problems.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Didn`t go to dealer for any kind of service/repairs since 1994 :D until 2012, where i had t-case seal on FJ Cruiser replaced under warranty.. which took them 3 days.. it`s a 2.5hrs job, which i could do myself, and i wish i did, because 3 month later i had to redo it. That was the last time when FJ saw Toyota service. Then.. couple of years later i decided to take my new back then Corolla for free oil change.. which turned into 2 hours wait. But "best" part happened 5,000 miles later. I decided to stop by my buddy that works at Lexus service, brought my own oil and filter, because it was winter and no place for me to change oil. And... it took 3ft pipe and breaker bar to take filter housing off.. did i ever go for free oil changes? Nope :)
That being said, if you know how, then do it yourself, because you'll know it`s done and done right. Just my 02c.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I do all of my own maintenance.
Since you don't drive much, I am assuming that most driving is fairly short trips, which tends to need more frequent oil changes to clear condensation and acids.

I would do changes every 6 months regardless of mileage.
Personally, I go 10,000 miles on our Rav and Corolla... but I already have 33k on my '16 Corolla, wife averages 10k/year on her Rav.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota will most likely deny your free oil change since it's a 2015

from toyotacare web site:

As part of the Toyota family, your exceptional ownership experience starts with ToyotaCare, [1] a no cost service plan with 24‑hour roadside assistance. [2] The ToyotaCare plan covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. 24‑hour roadside assistance is also included for 2 years and unlimited miles.

Just saw you purchased in August 2105 So you should still get 1 service free

·
Registered
389 Posts
Why is it sitting unused for 6 months?

Sitting unused is one of the worst things for machinery. If you can at least take it for a drive once or twice a week.

And a battery tender would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Your RAV can be safely stored as you have been doing. Motorcyclists often store their bikes over winter, and on farm we had machinery such as a hay baler and combine which were used only for a few weeks each year. Engines should not be run while in storage unless the vehicle is driven enough to get the engine oil to normal operating temperature for long enough to evaporate any condensation in the engine and oil. It's best not to run the engine at all until taking the vehicle out of storage. A battery tender can help keep the battery fully charged and prevent sulphation.

You can change your own oil and do other maintenance as noted in the Owner's Manual maintenance section without voiding the warranty. Suggest that you keep receipts for oil,, oil filters, etc. and you can go to www.toyotaowners. com , register your vehicle and can make entries in the vehicle maintenance section. Unfortunately warranties obviously run on a vehicle mileage/time of ownership basis and so you will not receive any extended time credit for the time your RAV is in storage, Perhaps you can contact Toyota corporate about your situation for exception but they probably would be unwilling to extend your warranty beyond what is printed in the warranty booklet.

Reactions: CB91710

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is it sitting unused for 6 months?

Sitting unused is one of the worst things for machinery. If you can at least take it for a drive once or twice a week.

And a battery tender would probably be a good idea.

Not if the vehicle has been properly prepared for storage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
2 potential storage problems, come to mind:

a) flat spots on tires / put RAV4 on jack stands or switch to crappy rims & tires
- over-inflate times to 40 psi, as a bare minimum...failing to do ^^

b) after a few months, the battery may go dead / need a battery charger...tender
- killing a battery through a lack of charging, can cause electrical damage
- even a remote start system & security functions, draws down battery
(some Nissan's take out an alternator, had this happen once, due to several weeks parked)

c) if you can, start up engine once/month & let engine warm up good
- dries out condensation in muffler / get fluids up to operating temp.

PS - I haven't visited a $tealership, since 1986.
I give my trusted mechanic $15, for oil change labor...I provide synthetic oil & filter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would have a battery tender, add 3 qts of four stroke marine grade FC-W ( <-- New CAT approved version with lower zinc, so it is late model car catalytic converter compatible). FC-W oil that is LOADED with anti-corrosion additive to 2 qts of regular car SN premium car oil. Or realy go full 5 qts would be fine .....This FC-W is GOOD oil. This oil is used in outboards and small and large block Chevys, so no worries in your Rav4 for corrosion use. I then would run it for 3,000 miles after you start using it after the 3 months. Go to another oil and change it back over to your cocktail FCW mix before storing it again. I would have someone start the car every month for 20 minutes with a couple of 2,500 rpm foot holds for 30 seconds each. I would have non-oxy gas in there 2 tankfuls before storing and add some Sea Foam or any high end name brand fuel storage additive. Put it on blocks would not be a bad idea too.

The Outboard Expert: Oil Essentials - boats.com

Look at this one below!

continuousWave: Whaler: Reference: Duke of Oil

Or add 1/4 bottle of this Boron to Mobil 1 or Redline has high Boron.

http://www.altboron.com/store/index.php/cPath/27

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I store my Rav4 for six months, these are the things I do.

1. Wash and wax the vehicle and clean the inside.
2. Change oil and filter.
3. Add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas.
4. Increase tire pressure in all tires by 10psi.
5. Park car in garage over plastic vapor barrier.
6. Spray fogging oil in the air intake with engine running.
7. Pull the plugs and spray fogging oil into all cylinders. Replace plugs.
8 Stuff rag into tail pipe and cover with plastic bag.
9. Remove battery and take it indoors hooked up to a battery tender.
10. Get wiper blades off of windows.
11. Cover vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts