Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started working for a little bit and earned some money. I have right now about $500 to spend and need some advices on what should I buy for my Rav???

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I would say some really nice used 18" rims. But you will have to earn at least another $500 to get some tires :roll:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any service/maintenance you've put off, and then either a really good set of tires or a good set of struts and shocks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Save the money before you get addicted to buying things for the Rav. A big hit like this and you could get hooked. :shock:

I started with spark plugs thinking that would do no harm, but I woke up yesterday to find that I had moved on to harder things like chrome taillight guards. I am worried that I will get like some of the others here and start doing the big pipes, and then there is no going back. This just cannot go on.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Buy whatever will last you the longeset before you start wanting more stuff. Buy something you feel you deserve. Don't get anything so big that you'll feel guilty having it. Then save the rest of the cash and put it away for a rainy day.

Yes, all this is coming from the same guy who has put a bunch of $$ here and there into spicing up the rav4. If this is your first mod, I recommend headlights. Something you'll notice the difference of right away that may help with safety.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't go for the radar detector. All it does is to tell you to speed more often. I myself speed at the time and I don't have a radar detector and no tickets (oh crud :shock: , knock on wood)!

But i would say go for a portalbe GPS. That the thing to get nowadays. Fun, never get lost, and you can use it on any vehicle.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
$500 doesn't go far. Personally I mod in sets. So for example:

Front Safari bar with PIAA offroad fog projectors and side tubes and maybe a rear bar if you really want. Definitely over $500

Replace with a better sub and an upgraded amp. Definitely over $500

Intake and exhaust (which I don't think anyone has made an intake yet) and definitely over $500 for both.

About the only thing I can think of that's $500 or less is snowboard rack and a tow ball or rear cargo tray or set of all winter mats or mud flaps or a front hood guard.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Zeoth said:
$500 doesn't go far. Personally I mod in sets. So for example:

Front Safari bar with PIAA offroad fog projectors and side tubes and maybe a rear bar if you really want. Definitely over $500

Replace with a better sub and an upgraded amp. Definitely over $500

Intake and exhaust (which I don't think anyone has made an intake yet) and definitely over $500 for both.

About the only thing I can think of that's $500 or less is snowboard rack and a tow ball or rear cargo tray or set of all winter mats or mud flaps or a front hood guard.
I beg to differ. $500 goes a long way. You can stretch it as far as you want. I'll share with you my personal list. You can do the same mods, but make sure you show them off to me so I can take a look:

- Cross Drilled Rotors: $120 (ebay)
- Gauge pillar: $30 (ebay)
- Pillar pods (3): $30 each x 3 = $90 (ebay)
- Hawk brake pads: $80 (ebay)
- Door damping: $50 (home depot bldg flashing)
- headlights (Nokya ebay): $22 (i used to have these)
- foglights (Nokya ebay yellow): $22 (have 'em now)
- Pilot exhaust tip: $25 (cardomain.com)
- K&N air filter: $50 (ajusa.com)

That's only $489. You still have $11 more to spend. Take advantage of Dominos Pizza's 555 deal. 3 medium Pizza's for $5 a pop. That'll cost you $15 plus tax. Grab a couple friends and borrow the remaining $4. You can't eat 3 medium pizzas all by yourself anyway.

You just spent $500 all at once and now you're fat sitting on a couch watching a movie with 2 friends and lots of pizza. I recommend spending the $500 over 9 months. I mod per month will extend your excitement. I can't imagine you ordering all that stuff all at once. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe that you should always keep at least $1000 in the bank that is specifically earmarked for future automotive expenses. So if you have $10,000 in a savings account, you could do whatever you want with $9000 of it, but the remaining $1000 is off-limits so to speak and can be used only for automotive expenses. You can use it almost like a revolving line of credit - you take out only how much you need when you need to pay for an automotive expense - and then you put money back in the bank to bring the balance of that earmarked portion back up to $1000.

This way, when you eventually need new tires or a transmission rebuild, it doesn't have to go on a credit card, which is nice because major expenses often come unexpectedly at financially bad times.

I guess my point is that if you already have some money saved up that you could use for future automotive expenses, then spend the $500 on anything you want. But if you don't, it would be a good idea to put the $500 in the bank.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
zoomie said:
- Cross Drilled Rotors: $120 (ebay)
- Gauge pillar: $30 (ebay)
- Pillar pods (3): $30 each x 3 = $90 (ebay)
- Hawk brake pads: $80 (ebay)
- Door damping: $50 (home depot bldg flashing)
- headlights (Nokya ebay): $22 (i used to have these)
- foglights (Nokya ebay yellow): $22 (have 'em now)
- Pilot exhaust tip: $25 (cardomain.com)
- K&N air filter: $50 (ajusa.com)
Well... your list isn't exactly complete.

Fine... say you get cross drilled rotors for $120. I'm guessing it's only front but you probably should change the pads which if you get some decent pads is another say $60 per set. So assuming you don't get the rear you should change the brake fluid and flush. So all this hinges on the fact you can do it yourself AND you have the tools (claps for the brakes may be necessary).

So you got gauge pillar and pods. What about the gauges themselves? Good gauges are costly.

Door dampening? I don't own a 4.2 so I have no idea what this is for.

Don't even get me started on headlights. I'm not a fan of rice bulbs and a decent HID kit will run around $500 which I'm not a big fan of either. Retrofits are over $1000.

Fog lights same deal.

What's an exhaust tip for? Personally get the entire exhaust with resonator or don't get one at all.

Air filter drop-in like that I'd consider general maintenance. With the restrictive and non-mandrel bent plastic tubing there's not much benefit.

So you can see, $500 is great for going part way but just isn't enough to get you anything significant. That's my take anyways. Please don't take this the wrong way as me typing it out may sound harsher than what I really meant. Sorry... I'm also on the phone with India trying them to get their quality up.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey Jeff most people are in dept $10,000 and there minimum payments are $500 :lol:

But i totally agree with you.

Walt

B

·
0 Posts
STEREO!!!! I picked up a sweet Kenwood (MP3, WMA, AAC - those are m4a files .... unprotected (not purchased from) itunes music files). it will audibly tell you the files your scrolling through, custom pics, etc .. 50w Max power - can't wait for it to come in on Monday! Then you can get new front component speakers for $200 - $300, then add $30 for the new speaker mounting brackets .... or spend $120 for front speakers, $120 for rears, and $60 for 2 sets of new speaker brackets ... and you have a completely new, BETTER sounding new stereo!

DEFIENTLY have to get rid of ANYTHING OEM for the stereo in a rav - once you see the OEM speakers, you'll understand exactly why they HAVE to go right away!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Zeoth said:
Well... your list isn't exactly complete.
You're completely right about the installation part. I did assume the work would be done by him and his friends. Brake pads are covered in item number 4 (Hawk Pads and I estimated $80). No I am not suggesting he changes the brake fluid. I did not forget the pillar pods. See item #3 above or follow this link: http://stores.ebay.com/AUTOSQUARE-STORE_GAUGE_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Door damping just means insulating the doors to improve the sound quality from interior. It also reduces road noise. See "Dynamat" threads.

I don't know where you do your shopping, but a decent HID kit would cost $250-$350. I got mine used for $299 from a fellow rav4 member.

I don't know why we're arguing about this. I think he asked this question in this thread knowing that he would get various different answers. We're suggesting different things. That's given. Let's not waste thread space arguing what's better. I'm just saying that there's a lot of things he can buy with $500 and they don't all necessarily have to be so dramatic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts