Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm probably going to be purchasing a RAV4 sometime in the near future and wanted to ask a few basic questions. There's no FAQ section and I'm not finding what I'm looking for with the search function since my questions are general.

I saw a RAV4 yesterday on the way home, a nice blue one. I have no idea what year it was. I do know it was an 'L' and it did not have that grey plastic crap on the doors or front bumper, it was all blue. It had a sunroof too. I know, I'm not a lot of help.

1 - Is there only one color blue?
2 - Which versions have this grey plastic bumpers and door trim? Years (2001-now)?
3 - What things come with the 'L' model?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did it look essentially like mine (see avatar at left, or check my album) but without the hood scoop and with a sunroof?

If so, it's a 2001-2005 "L" package. If the foglights were round instead of...whatever odd shape they were before...and the taillights were all red instead of red and orange, it was a 2004 or 2005. Otherwise it would've been a 2001-2003.

Per my 2004 brochure, the "L" package "includes color-keyed door handles, power heated outside mirrors, front and rear bumpers, body side moldings and full hard-shell outside spare tire cover; RAV4L badging; leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls and leather-wrapped shift lever; integrated fog lamps; rear privacy glass; and tonneau cover". It also notes that the "L" package "requires" 5-spoke alloy wheels and color-keyed fender flares. There are also a few optional items that are only options if you have the "L" package, such as factory leather and heated seats, and a few other options that you can only get if you have either the "Sport" or the "L" package, such as auto dimming rearview mirror and HomeLink. The sunroof actually is an option on any Rav, although most "L" package Ravs (except mine :x ) have it.

Hope this helps!

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Becky J. said:
Did it look essentially like mine (see avatar at left, or check my album) but without the hood scoop and with a sunroof?
Yes, I believe it did. Is that hood scoop functional??

If so, it's a 2001-2005 "L" package. If the foglights were round instead of...whatever odd shape they were before...and the taillights were all red instead of red and orange, it was a 2004 or 2005. Otherwise it would've been a 2001-2003.
Didn't see the foglights or note the taillight color. I'm going to visit a dealer soon to check them out up close. If I get a RAV4, I'll be going from my fifth Honda in a row to my second Toyota.

Per my 2004 brochure, the "L" package "includes color-keyed door handles, power heated outside mirrors, front and rear bumpers, body side moldings and full hard-shell outside spare tire cover
So, the one-color body side moldings are "L" and the grey ones are not?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is that hood scoop functional??
I wish! But nah, it's just pretty. :wink: I had some extra cash from the sale of my '96 Rav and really wanted the hood with the scoop, so I ordered one from my dealer.

So, the one-color body side moldings are "L" and the grey ones are not?
That's correct. The grey side moldings/bumpers are on the base model, and the "Sport" has silver (which is also a nice look).

The problem I had was that I wanted the "L" color scheme, but wanted the scoop of the "Sport". Ultimately I decided it was more cost effective to get an "L" and buy the hood than to get a "Sport" and have the trim painted. The paint job on the hood was 2/3 of the cost, and the parts were only 1/3. If I had had to get bumpers, molding, and fender flares painted it would've been more than parts plus paint for just the hood.

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Becky J. said:
I wish! But nah, it's just pretty. :wink: I had some extra cash from the sale of my '96 RAV and really wanted the hood with the scoop, so I ordered one from my dealer.
Mind me asking how much it was? And you said you had to paint it too? Don't they come painted? Did you add the metal mesh grill, sport pedals and auto-dim mirror? I can get those aftermarket, right? And I guess the 235/60 tires I'll have to do myself because they don't come with the 2WD version.

The problem I had was that I wanted the "L" color scheme, but wanted the scoop of the "Sport".
OK, so now I get it. I want a 2004 or 2005 'L' and add the 'S' stuff myself. I test drove a blue 05 last night, it was a 5 speed 4WD. Drives nice, but I'll need to get used to the long throw when shifting. I'm used to my Del Sol and S2000 with their really short shifts. I may just go with an automatic this time around, every one of my vehicles have been stick. I guess I can deal with slightly less mpg and power.

I'm probably going to have to wait for a used 04 or 05 because I want leather seats and the sunroof on the L series. Plus, it's probably better cost-wise to buy a year old one as opposed to brand new.

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
771 Posts
The best thing to do IS to wait for a used one. You save big $$$$ and still get the same great vehicle! The only draw back is that finding the color you want may be tricky. I wanted black and there was only one so I got lucky.

Mine was back off lease from some old lady and the rear seats or spare were never used. I think I was the first person to ever drive it off road. 60,004 kms (37502 miles) on it when I bought it and I only have 74 on it now. Warranty still for another year on engine but with good care being taken, I'm not expecting any trouble.

Most economical to let the first person pay most of the depreciation on it and then swoop in and reep the rewards. Mine will be nine years old when we put it out to pasture and maybe then if it still produces we may let it live in our barn for a while more if you know what I mean.

Great vehicles! 4.2 is the best yet. 4.3 yet to be seen. M.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mind me asking how much it was? And you said you had to paint it too? Don't they come painted?
It was about $1,000 including parts and paint job, parts about $400, paint about $600 (including blending) They don't come painted, and in fact I tried to get them to take my original hood off my hands (free, I was going to give it to them because I don't really have room in my garage) and they said they couldn't because it does them no good with paint on it.

Did you add the metal mesh grill, sport pedals and auto-dim mirror?
The Sport's OEM mesh grill is actually plastic as it turns out. I checked one out at my dealer. I was going to get it but hit this cash flow crisis and thus far haven't gotten back around to it. It's only like $75 I think, so I will eventually.

I'm not sure about the sport pedals, they seem like they could be slippery in winter (a real issue in Wisconsin), but I might look more seriously at them later. My husband added an auto dimming mirror in his 4Runner and it doesn't thrill me that much.

But yes, those are all things you can get aftermarket.

Drives nice, but I'll need to get used to the long throw when shifting.
Yeah, I installed the TRD short shifter kit in my '96, but there isn't one for the current model as far as I know. But unless I'm forced to someday for some reason, I can't cope with driving an auto so I'm sticking to the manual.

Good luck in your quest!

Becky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts