Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a transmission pan leak. I degreased and power washed underside of the RAV4. Come to find out the leak was from the case to the rear of the trans pan (don't know what it is called, transaxle maybe?). I did search hi and low and saw to replace seal it may be upwards of $3000 to fix.

Does anyone have experience replacing this gasket? It looks like a gasket sealer paste was used as original. Also, are trans additives safe for these trannys with the WS fluid? I thought I read not to ever add anything the the tranny except the WS fluid.

Thanks in advance!
Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Is the arrow pointing to the gasket area, or is it where it is believed that there is a leak, or to both? Also was the pic taken just after the area had been power washed? A leak at the arrow point would seem to be very unusual. There does seem to be some residual matter ahead and to the side of the arrow point, but it is difficult to tell what it actually is. It is possible that if there is a leak and if the leaking fluid appeared where the arrow point is that whatever is leaking is coming from another place such as the pan gasket. Is there other evidence of a leak, such as fluid dripping onto the garage floor or driveway?.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
If it is from where those machined surfaces mate it would indeed be very expensive to fix since there is no gasket just sealer. Would probably start with removing the engine and transaxle and then disassembling the surfaces.
About the only thing you could try is tightening the two or three bolts near the leak.
Otherwise I'd just manage it maybe even adding a "diaper" of some kind if it makes a mess. That's what I did when my Forester's head gaskets started leaking. Finally just had to change them. At least that was a DIY. This isn't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I decreased the area and applied a "topical" spray sealer to the area of the leak but it didn't work. It appears to be leaking more than before!

I've read that you shouldn't use any of the leak stop products in the Toyota transmissions using the WS ATF. I went to the manufacturer's website of the leak stop products and they state that their product can be used on all transmissions.

Has anyone used a leak stop product in their transmission with good results?
Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you verify that it was leaking transmission fluid from that rear area of the pan? That gunk squeezed out of there is the FIPG (form in place gasket material) - think of it as a liquid gasket that is designed to seal against very small seams - cures over time. As mentioned above, it is very unusual for transaxle to leak there at the diff unless there was actually a crack in the case. More likely that the leak is coming from above or the axles on the side, follows the seam on the transaxle and appears to leak right at the bottom of the seal. Could also leaking at the pan, and just wicking up to that area. As you might have figured out, best NOT to run any sort of stop leak or other additive in the transaxle. Those are tools of last resort, generally not fix anything - just stop the leak long enough to get dumped onto someone else. As mentioned ,try double checking the pan bolts, make sure they are on tight. Couldn't hurt to try tightening the transaxle bolts - just don't go all Hulk on them - just see if they are loose or not.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The vent could also be plugged up causing excess pressure inside the transaxle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vent could also be plugged up causing excess pressure inside the transaxle.

Is there an easy way to find the vent? I didn't even think that could be the issue. Worth a try.

All- thanks for the replies. I'm going to degrease the area, again, and hopefully pinpoint where the leak is. I did try to tighten the bolts once before but they were pretty tight and I didn't want to cause any damage by over torquing. I might check again.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMHO, usually if you see a soft gasket compound like the orange stuff it is used between mating surfaces to keep water and dust out. If you have a leak, then it is most likely an internal seal. I would imagine the transfer case to have 4 seals. Two towards the wheels. One towards the rear drive shaft. One towards the transmission. Maybe check to see where the fluids are low (transfer case or transmission). I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the transfer case most likely will have to come off. I split my rear diff apart to change the input seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After looking at the picture again, I believe that's the seal between engine and transmission. Definitely not a DIY for me. Would involve dropping the transmission.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok after looking into this leak further, it appears now it's coming from where the drivers side CV axle is inserted into the transaxle. I saw a little trans oil on the bottom of the area beneath the axle. So I guess it's NOT where the trans case meets together.
I told the wife that this is good news! She said "why is finding a leak good news?" I said because I can fix this!!!
Time to start the research on how to replace the inner cv axle seal. ImageUploadedByAG Free1467042036.427253.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts