Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am resident of California who just bought a 1997 Rav4 5spd 4wd from a small dealer in Portland Oregon. The car shows that it's a 49 state vehicle that only meets federal emission regulations according to the emissions sticker under the hood. I am guessing it wont pass smog in here in California. My question is what's parts do I need to replace to make it California complaint for smog? Based on my research so far it looks like I will need to replace the exhaust manifold with the integrated catalytic converter built on and get a CARB legal catalytic converter exhaust system. Has anyone here had a similar experience? Does this mean I will need a new ECU that was built for the cali/50 state Ravs? Any advice or input would be appreciated, I am sort of in a bind here. BTW very excited to be a new RAV owner and be part of this forum ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Usually you don't have to convert a 49-state used car, to the California emission standards to register the car.
If you want to put a 49-state engine in a car that was built with the California standards, then you have to convert all that stuff on the engine. New cars in California must have the California emissions. Used cars only have to meet the standards they were originally built with.

But laws change all the time, the best source is to usually to talk to the county clerks office where you buy the plates.

Reactions: Elle_Rav4

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
This should help to answer your query: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Hi everyone,

I am resident of California who just bought a 1997 Rav4 5spd 4wd from a small dealer in Portland Oregon. The car shows that it's a 49 state vehicle that only meets federal emission regulations according to the emissions sticker under the hood. I am guessing it wont pass smog in here in California. My question is what's parts do I need to replace to make it California complaint for smog? Based on my research so far it looks like I will need to replace the exhaust manifold with the integrated catalytic converter built on and get a CARB legal catalytic converter exhaust system. Has anyone here had a similar experience? Does this mean I will need a new ECU that was built for the cali/50 state Ravs? Any advice or input would be appreciated, I am sort of in a bind here. BTW very excited to be a new RAV owner and be part of this forum ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts