Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift into reverse and accelerate, this muffler bangs against the floor and I can hear the sound of the engine exhaust resonate through the body of the vehicle.

My assumption is a motor mount has worn out but I'd like to hear from people who've experienced this and find out what their remedy was.

What's the standard fix for this?

·
Registered
2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 Limited GSA33W (Raiju)
49 Posts
I think its more the old age of the exhaust hangers. When I went to a smaller muffler and resonator it took a lot of weight off those old hangers causing more movement and noises. My fix is to replace the tired rubber hangers with a set of Cusco hardened muffler hangers to stop excessive movement.

Reactions: JMIlesT and Tapatio

·
Super Moderator
11,227 Posts
You don't actually know what's wrong so how do expect a fix? Find out what is causing this and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
I agree with Tex especially since at least I have never heard of this issue before in the ten years I've been here.
The dent in the heat shield above the muffler indicates the muffler got hit somehow so maybe the whole system is bent.
Altho 84hachi's idea about replacing the hangers is good, when the stock ones start to stretch they usually let the exhaust system hang lower not higher. If you can't figure it out it may be time for a muffler shop to take a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dent scrape is where the muffler touches the body when I shift into reverse. I have no cause to believe this situation was set off by any single traumatic incident.

I've searched and seen people post about similar symptoms (vibrating noise while in reverse) but no one has posted a solution; at least not that I've come across. I'll try a muffler shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So today me and a friend finally got to do some maintenance on the RAV4, we ended with changing the muffler hangers for the Cusco versions. About 2 inches of side to side movement has been reduced to about 2mm side to side. Its so much better.

The factory rubber is soooo soft to compensate for the heavy factory exhaust.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The weld between the muffler and the pipe also appears to be cracked. If that is the case the pipe will rattle against the muffler opening. Using different hangars may increase the pressure between the two metal pieces and so reduce the noise, but if there is a crack there also likely will be a leak and that could be dangerous with there being some CO involved despite emissions controls.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
49 Posts
That doesn't look like a crack, that looks like a shitty weld that rusted. Exhaust systems are only supposed to start to crack and leak on Earth Day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts