Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2019 hybrid for a week, I'm on 2nd tank of gas. 1st tank dealer filled up full, it lasted me less than 450 miles, 2nd tank is even worse, it's about a little over 400 miles. seems like MPG drop due to weather. 1st tank is about 40 degree, 2nd tank is 20 to 30 degree. If you're in southern states, don't reply, I want to know what's real mpg on full tank of gas if you're in midewest like IL and WI area. IL and WI has winter or summer gas blend, so the formula is different in the same 87 octane gas winter and summer. Does winter gas blend and outdoor temp really drag down mpg this much, full tank supposed to last over 500 miles, I'm only getting a little over 400 miles, digital mpg gauge shows me 32 to 33 mpg last week and this week, 2 weeks, 2 tank of gas. My gas gauge shows F, so I don't have gas filling problem. I usually change rotors and pads after 120K miles on previous cars, so I don't tailgating and don't drive car crazy. Please share your mpg if you're in Midwest region, mine is xse trim, black roof with white body, wheel is black as well, thanks.
Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm in the north east USA, currently getting 29-30mpg. EcoBoost score is always high, vehicle is just using the gas engine to stay warm in the cold weather.

I'm not sure if you'd say I have the fill problem. The pump does shut off early but I always top it off slowly with another 2 gallons (I guess I do have the problem.) Range after fill is 530 miles. I don't have a habit of letting the gas run below 1/4 tank, so I'm not really able to tell you the real milage per tank. Check the other thread, other people are reporting 80-100 miles after the tank range reports 0.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your mpg is 30, 30x14 gallon 420 miles maximum on full tank, how can you go over 500 miles, i'll try to pump more gas in after pump click. The trip gauge show you how many miles left. I go with that number. There are two gallon reserve in the tank, so 40mpgx2gallon is about 80 miles more if you completely use up gas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm just reporting what the dash MID is showing. On a fill, the DTE shows 530 miles remaining, on the MPG screen it shows 29-30mpg.

Remember these are just estimates, the mpg changes based on whatever the car can see.

I almost always drive in Eco mode. I've maybe used Normal or Sport once or twice since buying the vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Iowa, outside temp has been ~20's. My dash says I'm getting 34.5 mpg, but my math calculates 30 mpg. I've only had it about a month, so I can't say what warmer weather might do to the mpg.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the OP: Where'sthe fuel needle when you fill up? Is the Low Fuel light on? How many gallons of gas are you putting in when you fill up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few years ago, I did some math on gasoline. You could probably find other examples of it on the internet somewhere, if you wanted. The general idea is that ethanol has less energy per unit volume than octane (assuming gas is primarily octane). Increasing the ethanol content of an ethanol octane mix would decrease the energy available for combustion. At the time, I was arguing (and convinced another friend) that this was a significant contributor to my 10% measured loss in fuel economy of a 100% ICE car (based on times when we were on winter fuel, but the weather was still reasonably warm). Batteries and EV's will also be impacted, as they are less efficient at lower temperature.

I hesitate trusting MPG displays on cars until I have enough data to have confidence in them (yes, I am an engineer). I've only filled up my new RAV4 once (I live in the Boston area), when the gas tank was about 1/4 left. Filled right up to the top. 9 gallons used, ~320 miles traveled. That's about 35 mpg, but the dash showed 32. I always reset the trip meter after fill-ups so I can quickly do this calculation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the OP: Where'sthe fuel needle when you fill up? Is the Low Fuel light on? How many gallons of gas are you putting in when you fill up?
The needle shows full, but the most I've ever been able to put into the tank was 11 gal and that was because I was at a station where the fuel flow was VERY slow.

The first 2 times I filled up, the Low Fuel light was on and the display said I had less than 20 miles until empty. But I was so confused when it only let me put in 10+ gal. I was looking forward to less fill up stops, but I guess that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Iowa, outside temp has been ~20's. My dash says I'm getting 34.5 mpg, but my math calculates 30 mpg. I've only had it about a month, so I can't say what warmer weather might do to the mpg.
So are you happy with 30 mpg in winter, my last tank is even worse, 375 miles on 14 gallon full.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few years ago, I did some math on gasoline. You could probably find other examples of it on the internet somewhere, if you wanted. The general idea is that ethanol has less energy per unit volume than octane (assuming gas is primarily octane). Increasing the ethanol content of an ethanol octane mix would decrease the energy available for combustion. At the time, I was arguing (and convinced another friend) that this was a significant contributor to my 10% measured loss in fuel economy of a 100% ICE car (based on times when we were on winter fuel, but the weather was still reasonably warm). Batteries and EV's will also be impacted, as they are less efficient at lower temperature.

I hesitate trusting MPG displays on cars until I have enough data to have confidence in them (yes, I am an engineer). I've only filled up my new RAV4 once (I live in the Boston area), when the gas tank was about 1/4 left. Filled right up to the top. 9 gallons used, ~320 miles traveled. That's about 35 mpg, but the dash showed 32. I always reset the trip meter after fill-ups so I can quickly do this calculation.
My last tank is 380 miles when gas gauge go down to the bottom, 350 miles when low gas yellow lights on. My guess is that I didn't fill tank up in full, even though pump stopped but I guess I can still pump in more gas, it's bad for new car though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My last tank is 380 miles when gas gauge go down to the bottom, 350 miles when low gas yellow lights on. My guess is that I didn't fill tank up in full, even though pump stopped but I guess I can still pump in more gas, it's bad for new car though.
How many gallons did you fill?

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
870 Posts
Going by the DTE and/or using potentially inaccurate indications of fills are going to mislead. Using snor or rain trips will skew lower.

Is anyone using fuelly or something similar that can track across multiple tank-fulls so you can see the trend? My memory in the Prius v was 2-3 MPG winter impact but that wasn't at +20f or below. Just don't have those temperatures in NC where we live.

Recall your tire pressure drops in the winter. Even 2 PSI can impact MPG and that little won't trigger the TPMS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Live in WI. I was averaging 38 mpg this fall. Now I'm around 32 mpg average.
I'm assuming ICE running for cabin heat and winter fuel blend is the reason.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
870 Posts
And drop in tire pressure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fair enough, my last full tank is only running 375 miles, digital gauge shows 33 mpg tonight on i94. If you're live in southeast wi, stop by 7 mile fair flea market sat Sunday, I'm a vendor there. Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had my RAV4 Hybrid Cruiser AWD for about 4 months, doing a lot of both highway and city driving. I invariably drive in ECO mode and get 6 litres / 100 kms irrespective of type of driving. This is about 39 US MPG, using E10 fuel. I have no refuelling issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So are you happy with 30 mpg in winter, my last tank is even worse, 375 miles on 14 gallon full.
To be honest, I have nothing to compare it to, I've only had it since it's been cold. I'll be curious to see how much better it is in the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m in Cleveland and bought an XLE late November... since then I’ve been getting about 34.5-35 in mixed driving, and 37ish tooling around town. This is in Eco, I do pay attention to my acceleration & braking, and after an initial cabin heat up usually cut back to mid / high 60sF. Guessing this will get a little worse in Jan / Feb... I’ve tried to verify with my own calcs, and appear to be in the ballpark, but it’s tough to tell with the tank fill up issues I’m having, like others have reported.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I live in the Madison area and have had my XSE since April. Currently at 18,212 miles.

Yes, the MPG is impacted by both the gas change and the weather. During the warm months I was averaging 40/41 MPG. I am now at around 34.

Combine the cold, winter gas, wind, and high speed and you will be below 30 MPG.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts