Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? I'm a new owner of '03 RAV4 and just found this site. I've seen reference to 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. Does the 4 represent that it is a RAV4 and then the .1....2....represent the generation change i.e. different design engine/trim etc.?

I just bought what I thought was a real creampuff of a car at what I think was a pretty good price for my daughter. We gave it to her on Jan 6. On Jan 14, a fender bender wiped out the right side of the car. :x My daughter is OK, it was not her fault. Police agree. We are now in the insurance "system" working out details to get it repaired. Just looking at it, it will need front and rear wheels and tires, front fender, two new doors, rear quarter panal. When they get it apart, we will see how badly the piller (between front and rear door) is damaged. The shop that will be doing the work said that the piller and lower unibody (below both doors) may be able to be "pulled out" and re-aligned. He said if it couldn't be pulled out to within specs, a whole new right side piller and lower unibody would have to he spliced into the frame/body. I am concerned as well with front end drive train damage. I know the camber is off and am concerned about internal (drive shaft, transmission) damage. The poor little car will never be the same.

A bad start to say the least with the RAV4, I really like the car. This forum is a great place to find out just how neat the RAV is. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
RetroRider said:
:? I'm a new owner of '03 RAV4 and just found this site. I've seen reference to 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. Does the 4 represent that it is a RAV4 and then the .1....2....represent the generation change i.e. different design engine/trim etc.?

I just bought what I thought was a real creampuff of a car at what I think was a pretty good price for my daughter. We gave it to her on Jan 6. On Jan 14, a fender bender wiped .......... I really like the car. This forum is a great place to find out just how neat the RAV is. Thanks for letting me vent.
First of all, yes, the "4" in 4.1 refers to RAV "4", while the "1" refers to the generation so your '03 would be a 4.2, while the new '06 would be a 4.3.

Wow, that doesn't really sound like a mere "fender-bender"... Was there no other vehicle involved? Hmm with all that damage, how close did it come to being a "total"? But your daughter's okay, so that's what matters most. Hope you get it back in tip-top shape....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yes, there was another car involved. My daughter was in the #1 lane approaching an intersection that was a red light for her. As she was slowing to stop at the light behind one car that was in front of her. A car that was in the #2 lane ahead of her stopped short of the intersection to allow a car to come out of a driveway of a convenience store on the corner. The car waiting to come out of the driveway saw that the car in the #2 lane stop short of the driveway so he could exit, so he came barreling out of the driveway and right into the side of the RAV in the #1 lane.

We just got the estimate for repairs today. The estimate was $6,800.00. It will be a pretty invasive repair. We'll see how it turns out. My first thought was to fix it then sell it. But, the other school of thought is that THIS car has already had IT'S crash, so maybe nothing more will happen to it. Then again......?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts