Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've looked and looked, and I've found no mention of a 2-door 4.3 - am I blind? If someone knows of a reference to a 2-door version, please point me to it. Sorry, but if there's no 2-door version, then Toyota have completely lost the plot and the initial, and hugely successful, concept of the vehicle.

Will consider a 4.3, but only a 2-door model.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nope no more 2 Door RAV4 sadly.

Toyota make more money selling the 4/5 Door RAV4 and sales in certain markets of the 2 Door were poor enough for Toyota to stop selling the 2 Door RAV4.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course sales were poor for the 2-door when it wasn't even offered to the west of Cape Cod! :lol: I saw a similar comment on rav4oz about poor sales of the 2-door, and the discontinuance there, but the funny thing is, here in ZA, the 2-doors dominate the sales. Thanks, Scott. Was just hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

My next car could well be my first departure from Toyota, since they're no longer offering anything genuinely appealing. The 2-door Prado is also gone, no MR2 anymore in ZA. :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure Toyota knows what it is doing by not offering a 2-door version. Even if they lose customers who would buy the 2-door, your purchases most likely don't outweigh the costs of producing it. Just because it sells well in one country may not warrant production. If it sold well worldwide there would no doubt be a 2-door available. Toyota is a world wide company that thinks globally and your area doesnt account for a very high percentage of sales overall.

Every manufacturer that discontinues a product does so on a cost-benefit analysis. Obviously the cost is higher than the benefit.

Curious: what comparable 2-door would you buy?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm quite aware of why they'd discontinue it. But I've also seen quite a few of the US folk here wishing that the 2-door version was available in the US.

Now I don't equate 2-door models with SUV intent, but the concepts of small, active and nimble have been lost. Was just being hopeful that they might not lose sight of what the RAV4 started out as. In the Tokyo motor show thread, there's an image with the following wording; "Every city holds hidden treasures. In the RAV4 CONCEPT, you have everything you need to discover them. With its spacious, delightfully furnished cabin and sure-footed driving performance, the RAV4 CONCEPT is ideal for exploring new urban horizons - and far beyond." Makes me want to puke - yet another station wagon with AWD option. :( An Urban Utility Vehicle, not Recreational Activity.

As for my next? The Mitsubishi Pajero diesel SWB will satisfy my enjoyment of smaller vehicles, with the 4x4 capabilities too that I do miss somewhat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts