Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to the manual :

Low fuel level warning light - Indicates that remaining fuel is approximately 2.4 gal. (9.0 L, 2.0 Imp. gal.) or less

The standard default tank is 60L, but my warning light came up @ 46.995L, 47.347L and 44.920L.

Fuelly is telling me my average consumption is 11.9 L/100km, how bad is this or will I get better L/100km with more km driven? car has only 1224 km so far:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
not broken in, and winter fuel blend, both don't help fuel economy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
According to the manual :

Low fuel level warning light - Indicates that remaining fuel is approximately 2.4 gal. (9.0 L, 2.0 Imp. gal.) or less

The standard default tank is 60L, but my warning light came up @ 46.995L, 47.347L and 44.920L.

Fuelly is telling me my average consumption is 11.9 L/100km, how bad is this or will I get better L/100km with more km driven? car has only 1224 km so far:D

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thats not horrible for city driving at all. You will get better if you do more highway cruising.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Short trips and city driving should not expect great mileage, that will kill it. As far as breakin mileage difference, that is a myth with todays engine and drivetrain tolerances. Don't expect it to increase after breakin. In 7 total brand new vehicle purchases over the years, I've never seen more than 1mpg difference from new to broken in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Toyota (and all other brands I'm aware of) do not know how much fuel you've used. They calculate how much fuel has been burned by measuring the pulse width of the fuel injectors and engine RPM then doing the math. Since the amount of fuel injected depends both on the pulse width and fuel pressure and temperature, there's a lot of slop in the measurement and a lot of very tiny droplets of fuel to count to ESTIMATE how much fuel has been used. Typically, this method of estimating fuel consumption is only accurate to within +- 10%. It can be adjusted up or down in software but typically will average +- 5% or more.

Unless you want a highly accurate inline fuel meter added to each vehicle (hundreds of dollars each) then you'll have to suffer with the real-world estimate that the engine control computer sends to the dash...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I take it as its within specifications, lol.

After 6 months of ownership, extremely happy with the ride quality (the isolated feel is excellent).

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as breakin mileage difference, that is a myth with todays engine and drivetrain tolerances. Don't expect it to increase after breakin. In 7 total brand new vehicle purchases over the years, I've never seen more than 1mpg difference from new to broken in.
Agree with this. "Break-in" is a myth. I've owned 6 total new vehicles over the years and I've never even had a 1 mpg increase after "break-in."

I think the entire idea of break-in is something invented by dealers who get tired of customers of recently purchased cars complaining about their bad gas mileage.

"My new car gets bad gas mileage!"
"Of course it does! You haven't broken it in yet!"

Reactions: JPD
1 - 7 of 7 Posts