Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 rav 4 ...

I get a wicked wheeezing sound when starting the engine on cold days [-15°C and below ] .

Doesn't last long .. about 2 minutes, I'm wondering if the power steering pump is dying on me. I noticed that when/after the fluids were changed (per reccommendation) there was a power steering fluid smell, I said the guy over filled or some spilled .. I'll wait, it's been 2 weeks and the smell is still there

108 000 km's / 5spd / recently had the belts changed and all fluids changed too.

Anyone ever have this happen ? :shock:

Thanks in advance ..

Steff

·
Registered
880 Posts
Is it a screeching sound like a fan belt makes or soething else? Your belt will slip if one of your accessories is causing resistance, like the power steering pump seizing. Mine was squeeling when I first got it because the last mechanic to change the belt didn't tighten the bolt on the alternator and it put the pulley just enough out of line to make it squeal whent he belt was cold.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say it's a belt sound ...
Monday morning it's going back to the garage for a checkup, I hope it's just the tensionner ... could be just that, the new belt has taken it's place and stretched out, now it's loose ?

Could be ... I'll let you know ...

Thanks !

Steff

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a simple way to check if the belt is loose.

Let the engine run and confirm the screeching sound can be heard. Spread WD-40 on the belt. If the screeching sound disappears for a while, the belt is loose. If you have no WD-40 in hand, water also works.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the verdict ..

Low power steering fluide .... pump was making the noise,
The lid might have been not well screwed or snapped on, although there is a sensior for that ....

Or the technician didn't do his job right and didn't add the right amount of fluid the first time [ after all luiquids where changed]

Anywho .. so far so good and no more wheezing sound. !! :p

S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts