Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like the RAV likes to wear the rear driver side inner edge of the tires. I have seen several mentions of this on this forum. Mine is doing this too and I recently trashed my tires on my thanksgiving road trip and will be replacing soon. Need to fix my alignment before. The kicker is that I JUST spent $80 to get a computerized alignment before the trip. All my specs are "in the green". What are your alignment specs that have yielded good tire wear.

Now the backstory...

This last spring I swapped on my summer tires and noticed that the inner edge of the rear driver winter tire was worn. Feathering, which would suggest that it was a too much toe out issue. After a couple of thousand miles while prepping for a camping/road trip I noticed that the summer tire (rear driver inner edge again) was worn past the thread rubber (thread rubber and casing rubber is different and is visibly differentiated), no belts yet exposed. I was taking off the next morning and did not feel that tire would have made the trip with the extreme wear like that. I put the spare on and dialed the toe in a little. During the trip I made some slight alignment tweaks to the rear so that both rear tires were wearing evenly. I have been modifying suspension since my teens and have a pretty good read of tire and alignment. I believe my trust was off and wearing the tires faster than normal but at least it was wearing them evenly. Fall soon came upon us and I swapped the winter tires on and took the RAV in to get an alignment. Took to verbal abuse for messing with my own alignment, and paid for their service. Now I am in the same boat as a year ago with extreme rear inner edge wear. It is starting to happen on both the rears now. Passenger side not as bad.

Currently the rear toe is set at 0.1 on both R/L. Spec is 0 to .2 degrees, so the tech adjusted it dead nuts center of the spec. Should I be closer to the 0. Then there is the camber. The driver side is about -1.5, while passenger is -.9. Why is the driver always more negative? Gas tank single driver? Was it this negative from the factory. Is this due to sag. I only have 60K on the car and have the heavier 3rd row springs. Do I need new springs. airbags? Is there much bump steer in the rear (will increase ride height change toe)?

Any insights will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
-1.5 degrees that's almost certainly the cause, too much unless you enjoy lots of er, spirited driving on-road.

They should both be the same too. Have the rear set to the minimum factory spec on both. I went slightly lower on my 4.1 at -0.5 degrees.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you set the camber. There are no adjustments.

My road car has almost 2 degrees of negative camber and I don't have wear like this.

I don't have pictures of my tire right now, but here are some examples.

Camber wear is smooth.

Toe wear is feathered. THis is what my tire looks like but only on the inside thread block row.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't know much about 4.3s, but I'm sure the rear camber is adjustable. Someone should be along soon to confirm.

Maybe worn suspension bushes then?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back to my alignment shop and they said they will help me set my rear toe to anything I want. Said I should ask around in forums for others alignment specs. Anyone have a recent print out they will post for me.

Some threads have shown about the same rear toe. 0 to .2. Negative is toe out. So the tech suggest that I go from .1 to .2 to try to correct.

In doing some research I find this aligment tech article.
Toyota RAV4 Alignment

In it, it states:
The rear suspension is a multilink design. On high-mileage vehicles, inspect the lower knuckle bushing for play and deflection. Another sign of a worn bushing is premature tire wear on the inside edge of the rear tires.

ANyone else hear of this?

I tried to take a picture of the wear in question. Hard to see, especially when the tire is wet. The funny wear is only on the last row of thread blocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts