Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2006 rav 2.4 I recently went in to Firestone for a wheel alignment. Firestone says my rear wheels were out of alignment and they couldn't adjust due to rear control arm recall. I was confused because I've had alignments done several times since recall work was done, never had an issue.

I dropped car off this morning at dealerships waiting to hear what needs to be done to correct this.

Has anyone encountered this problem after having recall work done. Also I didn't fully understand what was involved in recall. I probably wouldn't have let dealer do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
If both recalls were done there is no adjustment for the rear. Epoxy was applied to prevent future adjustment.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a 2006 rav 2.4 I recently went in to Firestone for a wheel alignment. Firestone says my rear wheels were out of alignment and they couldn't adjust due to rear control arm recall. I was confused because I've had alignments done several times since recall work was done, never had an issue.

I dropped car off this morning at dealerships waiting to hear what needs to be done to correct this.

Has anyone encountered this problem after having recall work done. Also I didn't fully understand what was involved in recall. I probably wouldn't have let dealer do it.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/178-recall/126522-recall-recall-lower-suspension-arms.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer. But the service adviser made it sound like they may have to do recall all over? And they had to contact corporate, I guess to see if they would pay for it? I'm not paying if it's just recall related. Maybe they will find bad bushings or something which I'll pay to correct.

Firestone inspected suspension components and all was good. I also have dealer copy of alignment printout showing rear was way in the red zone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went through this exact same process. Dealer basically told me "that's just how it is, deal with it." My back end is way off now. My vehicle is now forever a two-wheel alignment SUV. I have a deal with a local shop to get half off of alignments since it's only the front wheels and steer-ahead that they are doing. Let me know how it goes-- if you're successful I may try pushing the dealer again, especially because I'm due soon for new tires and don't want premature wear!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I left my Rav at the dealer for most of the day. I didn't get issue resolved yesterday, I talked to Toyota care for about a hour.. Toyota care did contact dealer and requested a copy of my alignment print out from firestone. Print out showed rear was way in the red and in need of adjustment. I should hear something today... I have a good feeling they will replace control arms with new ones and seal with epoxy. At first they mentioned I may have to pay $600 bucks for new arms, I laughed at them. That didn't make any since, then I asked what do I do a year from now if out of alignment again...pay another $600 bucks??

·
Registered
310 Posts
This epoxy crap really burns my a$$.....i brought my Rav in for the "fix" a while ago but wasn't aware of what they were doing for the fix...my bad. This is another pathetic band aid for their manufacturing mistake.... They only way they will learn is lack of sales.....I think they are headed that way....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After going back and forth with Toyota for a couple days about my wheel alignment. Toyota will not take care of this issue. The service advisor at my dealer really tried hard for me. So I'm stuck having the rear out of align... When recall work was done I had no idea what the fix was and that it would cause all this problem.

I told Toyota rep that I shouldn't have allowed them to do this recall. The rep tried to make it sound like I didn't have a choice and recall was going to be done. I went in on him....recall was done because I drove to dealer, actually for a oil change. I wasn't aware of recall and what was actually involved. I told rep if automakers didn't make such poor and unsafe designs the government wouldn't have to get involved. And then they came up with a cheap fix.

So I'll probably have another shop just replace my control arms. This was I can get the rear aligned and not chew up my tires, either way its going to cost me money.

·
Registered
936 Posts
After going back and forth with Toyota for a couple days about my wheel alignment. Toyota will not take care of this issue. The service advisor at my dealer really tried hard for me. So I'm stuck having the rear out of align... When recall work was done I had no idea what the fix was and that it would cause all this problem.

I told Toyota rep that I shouldn't have allowed them to do this recall. The rep tried to make it sound like I didn't have a choice and recall was going to be done. I went in on him....recall was done because I drove to dealer, actually for a oil change. I wasn't aware of recall and what was actually involved. I told rep if automakers didn't make such poor and unsafe designs the government wouldn't have to get involved. And then they came up with a cheap fix.

So I'll probably have another shop just replace my control arms. This was I can get the rear aligned and not chew up my tires, either way its going to cost me money.
That is very disappointing. Did you bring up the TSB and did they try this first?

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/178-recall/126522-recall-recall-lower-suspension-arms-26.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this kind of issue. I bought 4 sets of tires at Goodyear last weke and they can't align the rear wheels. Other auto shops won't touch it and Toyota dealership will charge me $600 to replace one rear suspension arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts