Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
We have a 2011 RAV4. In Aug 2015 the passegers wheel bearing was replaced by a Toyota dealer as it was making a lot of noise.
Around August of THIS year, we noticed the same noise staring again. Thinking it must be the other wheel bearing we asked for a diagnosis during a service last week.
They diagnosed the SAME bearing needed replacing again, i.e. it had only lasted around 2 years.
They were apologetic, said it was unusual, and offered to do it for $600, and said they would reduce that by 10%, making it $540.
I am retired, drive gently, and always try to avoid any bumps in the road.
It seems really unreasonable that a bearing should only last two years, but I cannot think of anything I can do about this other than cough up a further $540.
Any thoughts would be appreciated - thank you! John

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
They were apologetic, said it was unusual, and offered to do it for $600, and said they would reduce that by 10%, making it $540.
I am retired, drive gently, and always try to avoid any bumps in the road.
It seems really unreasonable that a bearing should only last two years, but I cannot think of anything I can do about this other than cough up a further $540.
Any thoughts would be appreciated - thank you! John
Yeah, that's what dealers do - apologize while they stick the knife in. Go to an independent shop - probably half the cost and a straight answer.
BTW, the bearing is $50 on rockauto.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts