Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is possible to have a bad wheel bearing and have zero play when jacked up? While driving and I make a left turn there's a what sounds like a rubbing noise. I have looked at just about all of the wheel bearing threads and my gut tells me that my right front wheel bearing is going bad, but the no play has me second guessing. I've had bearing go bad before and there's always some play. Any input is greatly appreciated. My RAV4 is a V6 FWD Sport.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like CV joint. iv,e just had both my front w/ bearings replaced
the noise sounded like tyres out of round. Toyota changed wheels from
another Rav4. no difference it was bearings, get CV checked

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't make the popping/clicking sound a cv shaft makes when going bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How new are your tires? I thought mine was wheel bearing so replaced both back bearings but the noise was still there until i bought new tires and the noise went away

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a bad rubbing sound when turning slowly too but turns out it was just the splash shield had come unclipped on the bottom towards the door. Might it be something that easy?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was but it sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing. I bought the wrong wheel hub assembly the first time (got the front when i meaning to get the back hub assembly) so i had to order the right ones. So i pretty much got front and back wheel hub assembly for no reason. But yea i went got 4 new tires from Walmart and it doesnt make that sound now

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires are new and it was making the same noise with the old. I thought the same thing since my tires were shot and got new ones last week. I think I'll just take it apart and inspect it this weekend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a bad rubbing sound when turning slowly too but turns out it was just the splash shield had come unclipped on the bottom towards the door. Might it be something that easy?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll check and see if I missed something underneath.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is possible to have a bad wheel bearing and have zero play when jacked up? While driving and I make a left turn there's a what sounds like a rubbing noise. I have looked at just about all of the wheel bearing threads and my gut tells me that my right front wheel bearing is going bad, but the no play has me second guessing. I've had bearing go bad before and there's always some play. Any input is greatly appreciated. My RAV4 is a V6 FWD Sport.
Yep, on the bad wheel bearing and no play found when you jack up(unloaded) and do a "static" check for any noises as you pull/push hub assembly, next put in gear on jack stands(dynamic test) and with an assistant outside vehicle increase RPM's and turn steering wheel slowly left/right , be CAREFUL and have assistant check for any noises with a stethoscope near the hub assemblies or in close proximity, again always be CAREFUL of all moving drive-line components.....with the vehicle on the jack stands this will relieve an "overload" on any good bearing and you then can pinpoint the cause. BE CAREFUL!

Also how many miles on vehicle, if over 100,000 bearings start to fail and it's best to replace both sides.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I torn in to it today and it was the bearing. Once I took it off and inspected it I could definitely hear the bearing grinding when spun. I'll be replacing the other side once I get some time to do it rather than waiting for it to fail.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went through many bearing on the V6 Sport (total of 8 on front). Only the Timken brand held up. Toyota bearings were crap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts