Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so some time ago I thought I detected a rumble coming from the right front. Couldn't be too sure though, so I left it. Now it's definitely there, when I brake and steer to the left at the same time, there's a definite rumble from right front. There might be some noise from the left too, and some other noise when coasting to a stop with no brake or clutch. This is only after 110 000km, and I'm no cowboy on the road, as >11.5km/l day-to-day can attest. Bother... better do the conversions for the metrically-challenged ;) That's 68 750 miles and > 27.2 miles per US gallon.

That's ok, it's getting fixed on Wednesday, but my question is; how long should wheel bearings and CV joints last on the RAV?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good question

"but my question is; how long should wheel bearings and CV joints last on the RAV?"

Good question, Modderrhu.

Today I got my front brake pads (and 1 rotor) replaced (at 66k miles, first time). I asked the tech if he greased the wheel bearings. He said no, he didn't have to disturb them to do the service.
I used to re-pack my wheel bearings when I replaced the brake shoes (back in the day, ahem), since I had to mess with them taking the drums off.

So, when should the bearing service be done? Toyota does not show this as a recommended service in the maintenance guide.
Does this mean the bearings are sealed, supposedly for life? I wonder.

RAV on.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the bearings are sealed for life, that might cut down on maintenance chores, and possibly extend the life of the bearings some, but it's not going to eliminate wear 'n' tear on them. The reason I really started wondering is that when I arranged with the grease monkey to have a look-see, he was quite astounded that I suspected bearing trouble at such a low mileage. Oh well, I'll know more tomorrow after he's driven, and fixed, my baby.

I had all brake pads (though no disc) replaced at about the same mileage as you, ejpede, but don't recall seeing that as a recommended service either. Perhaps Toyota leave out the bits where wear 'n' tear is very much driver dependant? (Don't have the book with me here.)

Update:
So I got the RAV fixed today. Wasn't a wheel bearing, but I do know why things got worse after the Toyota agent serviced the RAV and replaced brake pads. It still makes me pale to think they'd left a bolt off the right front caliper... it was rubbing against the rim, and thus the noise... I phoned Toyota to tell (bitch, yell, complain, gripe, rant) them about this, the service manager couldn't apologise enough, and asked me to give him the invoice. Said the guy who worked on my car was going to get it too.

But no matter how nice he was, or how high the turds fall on the grease boy... if that caliper had come loose, the wheel would have seized.

No matter how nice the service manager was, I'll be going elsewhere from now on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts