Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Basically any wheels that have a 5X114.3 bolt diameter and similar offset as your factory wheels. Also make sure that the center bore of the wheel that you are looking at is same or larger than the factory size which is 60.1mm. If the new wheels has a larger center bore, you will definitely need hub centric rings to eliminate wheel imbalance and high speed vibrations.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I've just done all the research to fit some Nissan Skyline rims onto my RAV; and they run great! :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Rav4x4 said:
were those a BOLT ON swap??
Yup... just gotta get some 66.1mm to 60.1mm hub centric rings for the Skyline wheel's center bore so that you will not get any high speed vibrations. One benefit of the Skyline rims is that they are factory forged and thus lighter than the RAVs factory alloys.

Here's the rims that were originally on my RAV:

The Skyline and factory RAV rims are the same size 16 X 6 1/2" with similar offsets (40mm and 45mm) respectively. Both have a 5 X 114.3 bolt diameter. Oh yeah, if you do choose these rims, you need to get a new set of lug nuts. I believe the size of the new lug nuts that I used was 12 X 1.5. That is because Toyota factory alloy rims use their own special type of lug nuts that are not compatible with other types of rims. Trust me on this one, I've already done all the research on this. :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yup i've done a bolt on wheel swap on my RAV too. Got 18" Ford rims on my RAV with hubcentric rings to cut any vibrations :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yup...without the tires though, those have been re-mounted with the Skyline rims and are now on the RAV. :)

I am planning on keeping them, however, just in case I decide to sell the RAV (or it gets totalled); so that I can take the Skyline rims with me for my next car. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I don't understand how the Hub Bore works...

Can anyone shed the light??

I know stock wheels are 16X6.5, but not sure about the Hub Bore...
Will 16X7 wheels with 40mm offset and a 67.1mm Hub Bore bolt on without the need of hubcentric rings, etc.. ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi DJ, sorry for the late reply; somehow I overlooked your post. As for your questions regarding hub bore. Each vehicle has a different hub size and the factory wheel that has an exacting matching hub bore that mates up perfectly to it. That is why the factory wheels should have no movement when properly mounted.

Now when you start putting on aftermarket wheels or wheels from a different manufacturer, hub bore size is critical. First you need to make sure that the bolt diameter will match (RAVs are 5 x 114.3). Offset should be similar as well. As for the hub's center bore, RAV4s have a bore of 60.1mm. Therefore the wheels that you are interested in with a center bore of 67.1mm will fit the RAV. Because the wheels that you want to install has a larger center bore (67.1mm) than what will fit our RAVs hub (60.1mm), you will probably get a miscentered wheel. Yes, the bolts diameter between wheels and hub will match, but there will be a slight miscentering of the wheel when it is mounted.

This slight miscentering of the wheel will not be noticeable at lower speeds, but at high speeds; this slight miscentering of the wheel will be felt as harsh vibration.

This is why it is important to get proper fitting hub centric rings onto your wheels. They will fill the gap that is created between your new wheels larger bore size and the RAVs smaller hub. For your case, you will need to get some 67.1mm to 60.1mm hubcentric rings. I probably haven't explained this that clearly. But trust me, I've gained a lot of experience in this area; and hub centric centering rings will save you a lot of grief and frustration down the road. :D

Please check out this website, it may make more sense than my incoherent rambling above :lol: :

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric&sub=how

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ok this is a bit off topic, but Id rather post it here than make a whole other thread, since my questions is related...

Ive found a set of rims that I like, their measurements: 16X7 5-100/114. 38AM

Ok, well my question is, what tire size am I looking for? I have my midn set on the BFGoodrich All-Terrian TA KO... but I dont have a clue as to what size im looking for... any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay guys help me out. This hub piloted versus stud piloted thing isn't a new thing, heck my 1966 C30 Chevy truck had hub piloted wheel mounting. The thing I'm trying to figure out is whether the studs are actually drilled incorrectly from the center line. That really wouldn't make sense to me. The hubs are made on computer driven machines which would suggest that the stud would be drilled on the bolt circle and equal distance from the center point of the hub. On my old truck the hub was used because the studs had flat backed lug nuts so no stud centering could be accomplished. Has anyone looked at the studs when mounting a wheel to see if they are properly centered on the studs when using the hub pilot. If so then it would make sense to me that if you had aftermarket wheels designed for stud piloted wheels then you would not need to provide the adapter for hub piloting. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any information. Just trying to learn some stuff before buying some wheels. There are some BBS 16" wheels on Ebay to fit Avalons, Camrys that I think would look nice on my new/old RAV4.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't wish to hijack this thread but this almost answers my thread, except for one question. Which 15" rims will fit the 97Rav? I've read some 17&18" Rims fit, but I'm going smaller for winter tires. I'm concerned about clearing the calipers with the smaller rim.

Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't know if it was you but someone else was asking about that and the RAV was designed for 16 inch wheels, with a close caliper clearance. YOu you probably would not be able to fit 15 inch wheels on it, so stick to derek's specs/sizes and 16 inch wheels

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah that was me, :( thanks for the reply. It's just I have some new 15" snowies that I wanted to mount on my RAV and thought I could step down in rim size.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
shromani said:
Yeah that was me, :( thanks for the reply. It's just I have some new 15" snowies that I wanted to mount on my RAV and thought I could step down in rim size.
Well, sell them on craigslist.org and get a new set from there too, great deals on that website

1 - 17 of 17 Posts