Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use wheel locks on their Rav? I used to use them on my Celica, but as of now I have not put them on the 2004 Rav. On the Celica I used Toyota's brand wheel locks.

I have noticed though, like on Brandsport, that there are many different choices, some better than others.

Any suggestions or comments?

All your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I put the McGard wheel locks on my spare tire after my spare tire cover was stolen. Got those from my Toyota dealer. At most, I'd suggest putting locks on your spare just in case. I don't think any thieves will waste their time on your oem wheels. Only if you got aftermarket wheels would I suggest using wheel locks on your normal four wheels. Of course, they're only a deterrant. If the thieves want to steal your spare or your rims enough, they can despite having wheel locks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As far as I know, Rav4 wheels are not a very hot item on the black market. I don't use them because wheel theft is not common where I live now. Besides no one would steal my beat up rims with scrapes and dings in them, if they did insurance would get me a nice set of new rims.

Wheel locks are like car alarms, they reduce crimes of opportunity but don't stop determined thieves.

However, here are the pros and cons of wheel locks:

Pros
- Reduces chances of wheels getting stolen

Cons
- Any determined thief can get them off, most likely with a pair of vise-grips or their own key to the locks
- If you lose the key you will have a hard time getting them off even at a tire shop, and if you get a flat tire and can't find the key then you are SOL

E

·
0 Posts
I had my genuine Toyota wheel locks installed by the dealer. So far, no complaints.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Jeff said:
- Any determined thief can get them off, most likely with a pair of vise-grips or their own key to the locks
- If you lose the key you will have a hard time getting them off even at a tire shop, and if you get a flat tire and can't find the key then you are SOL
I think there's actually a tool that's sold in autostores like Kragen that can get those wheel locks right quick. At least, that's what someone told me in another messageboard board I frequent where Honda owners seem to be having problems with their rides being stolen in the Cal bay area. As for the key thing, yeah, that'll definitely be an incovenience if you couldn't find your key in time of need. I always buy an extra one I keep at home while one keeps in the storage area underneath the carpet in the Rav.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well you can use the Bolt-Out tool sold by Craftsman, because they have flutes on the inside that will grab onto just about anything. However, many lug nuts are recessed in the wheel so you don't have any room to fit something over it. I believe the tools sold at auto parts stores work the same way.

The old method is to either use a pair of vise-grip pliers (if you can fit them over the nut) or a slightly smaller socket that you hammer onto the nut. You can also use an air chisel and a hammer, but you risk damaging the wheel and the stud. Another solution that many thieves use is to spray the lugs with liquid nitrogen which freezes them and then snap them off like an ice cube.

The problem is that even if you don't lose the key, you could still run into issues such as the key breaking, or some idiot who put the lug nuts on too tight with the impact wrench. If the lug nuts are on too tight, the key will snap when you try to get them off.

If you do get wheel locks, I have been told the Gorilla locks are the best, and McGard locks tend to break easily.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
In Canada my 2002 RAV LTD came with one lock per wheel.
With an extra lock in package so I put it on the spare. Maybe in
Japan they don’t steel spares. :lol:

Well, After cleaning the Rav and accidentally leaving the key at home
I went to the mechanics to change Summers – Winters.
The mechanic rightfully was not happy :x .... :roll: but with some extra time and effort took the Toyota locks off.

E

·
0 Posts
Hmmm... now makes me wonder... should I order an extra spare tire lock key and keep it in another place in the car (or at home)?

Oh well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts