Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted something different in terms of wheels when I purchased my hybrid. I had a 2010 matrix previously and the wheels seemed a bit similar. So I decided to try the plastidip product and go with what they call "smoke."

Here is the set up I used to prevent spraying all over the tire.

Below is a comparison of the two wheels.

Here is a picture of removal after I botched the first attempt. It peels off relatively easy. Took 7-8 minutes to remove from a wheel.

It's going to take a few days to get this done as for someone with my skill its slow going lol. Unfortunately have to work this weekend so I probably won't get all the wheels completed until mid next week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks great so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks good. Plasti-dip spray cans are an easy way to change rims or anything else. And the great part if it gets screwed up peel and reapply :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
the one thing i hate about plastidip on wheels is how it attracts a lot of brake dust... but that depends on what kind of pads you are running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost finished the wheels. Just waiting on black lugs to come in the mail and will put those on. It took a little longer then expected as I had to redo the first wheel. After watching some more youtube vids, I learned a few techniques to help so the other three came out better. Excuse the filthy vehicle,its too cold in Winnipeg for me to wash today.

I think I could have done a better job with the wheels but as a first attempt I think it went alright. Close inspection does reveal some a few mistakes lol. I'm curious to see how long the dip will last.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You a fellow Trashconian, Ravish? Thought that may have been you I'd seen deep down east Regent a couple days ago. I know it was a black hybrid anyway, can't be too many out on the road here yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently living in south end of Winnipeg. I was up in that area friday past so it may have been. If you see it from the front I added a deflector on the hood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loved mine at first, just a pain to keep them "shiney" they tend to dull/fade. probably due to brake dust I imagine
I noticed that. First thing a friend did was touch them and got them filthy. I can't wait for the weather to finally warm up here so I can start washing and a get a good wax on.

How well did yours hold up? Any chips or cracking in the short term?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts