Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to all this. My question is I have a 2009 Rav4 with steel wheels17" that are rusting real bad. I have a chance to pick up some 17" alloy wheels off of a Highlander. The rim size is the same as is the bolt pattern. The only difference is in the offset which is 35 instead of what I have which is 40. Should be fine I would think, or for that matter any wheel with the same rim size, bolt pattern hub bore size or bigger should work. Correct? Any input here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yes it will fit. I went through this when finding a 2nd set of winter wheels for our RAV. The RAV is one of the only vehicle in Toyota's line up that calls for such a large offset. I think it is closer to 45 at least the alloy ones. Positive offset means that the wheels are further outboard. If indeed 45, then vs the 30 wheels would mean 30mm (1.18") less track width. At a tad over 1/2" per side this is hardly noticeable.

That said, I figured there is a reason why Toyota engineer's specifically called for a larger offset. Wider track means more stability.

I had the option of finding some RAV4 alloys and jumped on the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mrpulldown you are incorrect about offset...offset refers to the mounting flange in relation to the center line of the wheel...so a wheel with 0 offset would have the mounting flange directly in the middle of the rim...when you start to go positive that moves the flange to the outside of the wheel and negative moves the flange toward the inside...so the 30 offset will actually stick out more than the 45 will...ever see those real wide "deep dish" style wheels...those are negative offset wheels so with negative the higher the number the more they stick out...with positive offset the higher the number the more they tuck into the wheel well...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, New to all this. My question is I have a 2009 Rav4 with steel wheels17" that are rusting real bad. I have a chance to pick up some 17" alloy wheels off of a Highlander. The rim size is the same as is the bolt pattern. The only difference is in the offset which is 35 instead of what I have which is 40. Should be fine I would think, or for that matter any wheel with the same rim size, bolt pattern hub bore size or bigger should work. Correct? Any input here is greatly appreciated.

This might help. It gives the offset ranges for the 09 RAV over on the right side of the page.

Toyota RAV4 2009 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Mrpulldown you are incorrect about offset...offset refers to the mounting flange in relation to the center line of the wheel...so a wheel with 0 offset would have the mounting flange directly in the middle of the rim...when you start to go positive that moves the flange to the outside of the wheel and negative moves the flange toward the inside...so the 30 offset will actually stick out more than the 45 will...ever see those real wide "deep dish" style wheels...those are negative offset wheels so with negative the higher the number the more they stick out...with positive offset the higher the number the more they tuck into the wheel well...
Thank you for the correction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts