Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The base model comes with a 16 in wheel. Should I take the option to replace those wheel with a set of 17 in? Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's strictly a personal cosmetic decision. The 17's might ride a little stiffer (and maybe handle a little better) due to the shorter sidewall, but probably not enough to make much difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
flyingn said:
+ I believe that with the 17's you get aluminum wheels..
17 inchers by default are "styled steel wheels." Aluminum alloy is also available at a higher price. 16 inch is steel with "wheel cover" aka hubcap. Others have no hubcaps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jabba2000 said:
flyingn said:
+ I believe that with the 17's you get aluminum wheels..
17 inchers by default are "styled steel wheels." Aluminum alloy is also available at a higher price. 16 inch is steel with "wheel cover" aka hubcap. Others have no hubcaps.
how do you like your base model? do you have 16 in wheel with it?? Thanks for providing the input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there a 16 inches option in the US market?
The canadian Base Model comes with 17 and 18 in the Sport.
Big bucks tires, I'll tell that you much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
kendfw said:
how do you like your base model? do you have 16 in wheel with it?? Thanks for providing the input.
I like it, kinda bland looking outside so I'm looking for the mudguards and side door molding. Now wifie says she wants the cargo tray too for the back. But aside from the looks, the car rides well. (I know, I haven't posted any pics. So if you want to see what it looks like, look at "flyingn"'s pictures, and scrape off the foglights and the "Limited" logo. (and change the tires, and omit the digital a/c, etc. etc. etc... - but they're both red :) )
Oh yeah, to answer your question, it came with the 17" steel wheels. Wish the spare wheel cover had some character to it, rather than just blending in with the same color. My '96 had the black cover with "RAV4" logo in blue & silver. Also the '96 had the aluminum alloy; never had steel wheels (without hubcaps that is). This may sound dumb, but doesn't steel rust? Anybody else have [another] car with these type of wheels? How do they hold up?

(and don't get me started on using rustable metal parts on something that's exposed to the elements, or I'll have to bitch'n'moan about trying to get the license plate off my '96 screwed on with rustable screws... anybody got more WD40...)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ok I am looking at my brochure. The 16" plastic wheel covers (hubcaps to us old guys) are standard on the 4 banger. Steel styled 17" wheels are optional on the 4 and standard on the 6.. then next is the 17" alum wheel(which looks a lot like the sport wheel) is optional on the base. The you have the Limited alum 17" and the Sport 18" alum wheels..

Frank

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally found the answer that I've been looking for on internet..

Aspect ratio — The height of the sidewall section compared to the width of the tire. Example: — If this number was a 50, then the tire section is half as tall as it is wide. Short sidewalls deliver crisp handling. Tall sidewalls give a smoother ride. For a specific tire width, the smaller this number, the shorter the sidewall.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
kendfw,

Can i ask what are your needs?
Do you want a stiffer sportier ride or the look of large rims both sacrifice a bit of comfort?
Or are you not into all of the above and you just want a very good comfortable ride?

The 16" are definitely the way to go for a nice ride and they still will handle very well.

If you want a bigger rim for the looks and sport than i would suggest buying them after market later on.
That way you can have a truly unique RAV and if you live in a snowing climate like Marcutio, myself and others, then you can put Winter tires on your OEM 16’s.

In my album you can see how I switch 2 times a year from 16’s to 18’s… I may switch the 16’s someday because people can notice the vehicle is different and I like it being custom.

Anyhow good luck,

Walt

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The 16" are definitely the way to go for a nice ride and they still will handle very well. "

I don't have any issue in putting another $400 into the purchase. I actually moving up from my 94' Civic EX and moving down from my weekend 05 Ody. Don't have any expectation on cars except being safe in a rainy or snowy day. I think I'll stay with 16 unless the dealer is going to throw in the 17". As of Friday, the dealer is going to throw in all-weather mat and cargo tray. Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plastic hubcap.. Replaced two sets for my last two vehicles. I think Toyota should just produce the base model to the standard 17 styled steel wheel. It's hard to get a vehicle with that upgraded option. If I need to special order that option, most dealer would charge arm and leg for it. Thanks everyone for helping making the decision.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
jabba2000 said:
never had steel wheels (without hubcaps that is). This may sound dumb, but doesn't steel rust? Anybody else have [another] car with these type of wheels? How do they hold up?
My 2000 has painted steel wheels. Yes, over time they will rust. The cleaner and drier you can keep them, the longer you can hold off the inevitable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Think long term:

If you think you'll give in to replacing the rims all together, you may as well just get the 16's for now. If you know you'll be completely satisfied with the 17's, go for those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts