Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As best I can tell, the base model RAV4 LE comes with 17x6.5 wheels with an ET45 offset.
I believe also that the higher trim models come with 17x7 ET45 or 18x7.5 ET39... Both of the 17" options use a 225 tire, while the 18" goes up marginally to 235.

Based on my understanding of how the offset works, it is taken from the center point of the wheel. Meaning a 17x6.5 ET45 would stick out less than a 17x7 ET45 wheel. There would be 0.25" more on the inside and outside of center.

We have the all-wheel drive model, and I am concerned about changing wheel sizes (same offset but 6.5 to 7) having an impact on the AWD system.
Has anyone with a base model (LE) all-wheel drive swapped up to larger or wider wheels? Any impact on the AWD system?
Would Toyota have set the AWD system different for each trim level (LE, XLE, Limited) just to match the wheel differences?

Cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
In a matter of fact, the 225/65r17 vs 235/55r18...the wheels on the 18" are 1.19% smaller than the 17" with tires.

In best of world, having a setup of 4 rims and tires of the same size is the best because of tires rotation and plus it look silly except on rwd.

So the 7" wide wheel Will be 6mm closer to the strut and have 6mm more of lip. In other words, 6mm more sunken. It wont hit the strut either if you stay on stock Height.

And dont Think a little wider by 0.5" would mess the AWD, it ain't like the most sophisticated system out there.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D3stro, I think I'm coming to the same thought. The fact that there is 0.25" more inside/outside the center point is probably not going to impact the AWD system. The car is obviously able to take a 7" wheel, else it would not be the more common size, in fact it can clearly take a whole inch more as the top trim comes with a 7.5" wheel.

I don't see Toyota taking the time to program the AWD system differently for each trim level, especially when dealerships offer people wheel upgrades. Additionally there must be a lot of people with the AWD models running two wheel-sets, one for summer, and one for winter.

My hope was that someone here would be running two sets and happen to have both 6.5" & 7" and confirm they did not find any issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts