Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has these or seen them. I am kinda of interested in black rims but no soo interested in spending a lot, because I’m not 100% sure I’ll like the look. So 600 to powder coat or up to a grand for new rims has me holding back.
Thoughts on these?
Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
How much? The nice thing is that if you don't like the look, you can change it back. My only worry would be water intrusion behind the skins damaging the finish on the rims over time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Interesting. I usually don't like plastidip because it is neither durable nor necessarily easy to remove as advertised. However, if you 'dipped your wheels, you can later remove the coating with a pressure washer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They cost 89 bucks on eBay. Thought about plasti dip but I didn’t think doing that on a new car was the right thing to do

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting, hub caps for your wheels. It's probably the cheapest (considering labor), to swap out. Vinyl wrap is another option, so you can do a 2-tone look.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I saw this stuff on the Motorweek TV show. It sprays on and stays there, changing the color to one you desire until you decide to peel it off. Seemed to come off nicely even after a couple of years of driving. Might be a temp solution if you want to go cheap for creating black wheels without actually repainting your rims. It would even add a little protection too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Curious if anyone has these or seen them. I am kinda of interested in black rims but no soo interested in spending a lot, because I’m not 100% sure I’ll like the look. So 600 to powder coat or up to a grand for new rims has me holding back.
Thoughts on these?
Thanks
I like the look ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,992 Posts
I'm glad that you like them. I am sick and tired of the black murdered out look so it doesn't work for me but who cares?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks surprisingly nice - would be great to see some close ups and more details about the install.

I'm thinking of getting a set of these and maybe painting them like a dark gunmetal metallic (as I tend to agree about the black wheel "fad"). But I'd rather spray paint these covers as opposed to the actual wheels

Also HockeyHands - how did you blackout the chrome trim around the windows on your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks surprisingly nice - would be great to see some close ups and more details about the install.

I'm thinking of getting a set of these and maybe painting them like a dark gunmetal metallic (as I tend to agree about the black wheel "fad"). But I'd rather spray paint these covers as opposed to the actual wheels

Also HockeyHands - how did you blackout the chrome trim around the windows on your car?

Hey @20R4H I'll take some closeups when I can. Painting them might be interesting. Keep in mind these are just a thick, glossy plastic and not actually metal, so who knows how a rattlecan would look.

And I didn't. The lighting is a little misleading in my garage, but its still just chrome - as you can see near the start of the trim on the driver's side door

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been looking at those same skins...so a couple questions, do they seem to attach to the wheel pretty good (would hate to lose one) ????
Also, do they seem to be a decent quality, thickness and such ???
Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts