Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Adventure & am planning to get some tires & wheels. Ideally they would meet the following criteria:
1. Close to stock
2. Full-size spare
3. Excellent winter traction
4. Increased puncture resistance
5. Strong, reasonably light wheel

The vehicle gets driven a lot (22,000 miles so far) on remote Montana back roads (pavement, gravel, dirt) in both summer & winter. Reliability is important.

I have scoped out the following & would appreciate any thoughts:

Winter:
Stock Wheels with Nokian Hakka-8 studded 235/55/R19
Stock wheels appear to be 19x7.5 with 40mm offset

Summer & Spare:
Enkei PDC 16x7 with 38mm offset
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 225/75/R16

Some Notes:
The 225/75/R16 tires are only 0.4% larger than stock
The 225/75/R16 tires are nominally 8.9" wide. I saw someone claim that the stock 17" wheels (nominally 9.3") will barely fit in the spare tire well. These should have 0.4" to spare.
This will allow 5-tire rotation
The spare should work with both summer & winter tires
I am not sure about brake clearance with the 16" PDC wheels - any thoughts?
I am not sure about strength & quality with the PDC wheels - any thoughts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put on a set of Cooper A/T 3-4s 235/65 R17 they are at 29.2" same as my stock tires, you won't lose any MPG's
with them, and I like them so much I will using these all year around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will be nice if I don't loose MPG's. The ride could be interesting - the BJG's in this size (225/75/16) are load range E. I just ordered the spare wheel/tire. It is supposed to show up next week. I'll post whether it does/doesn't fit in the spare tire well. I plan on ordering the snow tires in about 3-weeks & will likely get the other four AT tire/wheels in the spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Nokian WRG3’s on my Honda CRV. Live in Maine and drive 110 miles round trip everyday. Don’t know longevity yet - but I will say they are awesome in the snow and on ice. When I need new tires for the RAV4 I definitely look at the Nokian’s. And these aren’t even their “snow tires”. They are all weather but awesome in the snow

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran some ko2's on my 19 crosstrek and was not a fan of them. They're great for going off-road on wet muddy rocks if that is all you do. The road noise is not very friendly and you get a lot of noisy feedback through the steering wheel and pedals. They were overkill for a crosstrek and would be for a rav as well in my opinion. They sure do look nice and mean, so if you don't mind loud road humming and losing 4-5 mpg go for it. I swapped them out after a few months of driving. They weighed 3lbs more than other all terrains. I've heard from a few people validating what I thought of them, for the most part though they're really popular and I think people just deal with it to be part of the club. I went with Cooper at3's which perform better in mud and rain conditions and were just as quiet as my stock tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at1stpromise:
I suspect I will lose some mpg's, but hopefully not too much. I have been a fan of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A line since the late 1980's. I put them on my 4Runner & they ended a problem that I used to have with repeat flat tires. They (over the 30-years I had the vehicle) were sometimes Load Range D or E (I don't recall) & sometimes C. I couldn't tell the difference in handling, but perhaps others could. I am expecting these will be a little clunky for the RAV4, but also that they will be more puncture resistant. That is important to me as my wife mostly drives it to remote locations & to lots of construction sites. It is worth it to gain puncture resistance at the expense of some handling & mpg's. I won't know until I replace them in the spring - I will let you know then how much they affect performance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
at1stpromise:
I suspect I will lose some mpg's, but hopefully not too much. I have been a fan of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A line since the late 1980's. I put them on my 4Runner & they ended a problem that I used to have with repeat flat tires. They (over the 30-years I had the vehicle) were sometimes Load Range D or E (I don't recall) & sometimes C. I couldn't tell the difference in handling, but perhaps others could. I am expecting these will be a little clunky for the RAV4, but also that they will be more puncture resistant. That is important to me as my wife mostly drives it to remote locations & to lots of construction sites. It is worth it to gain puncture resistance at the expense of some handling & mpg's. I won't know until I replace them in the spring - I will let you know then how much they affect performance.
Right on, sounds like you already know what you can expect from them. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2019 Adventure & am planning to get some tires & wheels. Ideally they would meet the following criteria:
1. Close to stock
2. Full-size spare
3. Excellent winter traction
4. Increased puncture resistance
5. Strong, reasonably light wheel

The vehicle gets driven a lot (22,000 miles so far) on remote Montana back roads (pavement, gravel, dirt) in both summer & winter. Reliability is important.

I have scoped out the following & would appreciate any thoughts:

Winter:
Stock Wheels with Nokian Hakka-8 studded 235/55/R19
Stock wheels appear to be 19x7.5 with 40mm offset

Summer & Spare:

Some Notes:
The 225/75/R16 tires are only 0.4% larger than stock
The 225/75/R16 tires are nominally 8.9" wide. I saw someone claim that the stock 17" wheels (nominally 9.3") will barely fit in the spare tire well. These should have 0.4" to spare.
This will allow 5-tire rotation
The spare should work with both summer & winter tires
I am not sure about brake clearance with the 16" PDC wheels - any thoughts?
I am not sure about strength & quality with the PDC wheels - any thoughts?
I would use the 19" wheels for the summer and the 16" wheels for the winter, I would also have a smaller diameter and width on the winter wheels to cut through snow and being smaller, have more torque to push snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would use the 19" wheels for the summer and the 16" wheels for the winter, I would also have a smaller diameter and width on the winter wheels to cut through snow and being smaller, have more torque to push snow.
I agree that the 19-inch wheels are ok for highway use, but for gravel there aren't many AT tire choices for the 19-inch rims. Ideally I would have the narrower wheels for winter also per your suggestion, but I am trying to avoid buying too many new things. The other option that probably makes sense is to just keep swapping tires on the 16-inch rims & quit using the 19-inch rims, but I will be able to change them myself each season if they are already mounted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I went with 215-width tires to run a full-sized spare. One member reported that 225s fit in the factory location (also after removing all the rubber pads and such under there). 215s, I believe, limit you to 16s and 17s, though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, you shouldnt have any issues with your 16s and that offset. I have done 16x7.5s @ +34, and now 16x6.5 @ +10/+4, with no issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One thing worth considering is the 19 inch 235/55/19 factory size does not allow for tire chaines (at least according to the manual) while the other factory size 18 and 17 inch wheels presumably you can. If you want to be able to use chains that is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following is an update on the full-size spare that I put in my 2019 Adventure. The stock tire (235/55/19) is too wide to fit in the spare tire well. The 225/75/R16 tire fits nicely with no forcing. This tire is very close to the same diameter as the stock tire (Spare = 29.3", Stock = 29.2"). I ordered 4-more of these wheels & will move to a 5-tire rotation after winter. I will mount studded snow tires on the 19" rims & still be able to use this as a spare.

I used the following:

The details are as follows:
1. I pulled out the white foam spacer for the donut. It was glued in, but popped out easily without any tools & did not break.

2. I removed the decorative center plug in the new wheel. It had a snap ring & popped out easily. This allowed the wheel to be installed upside down with the factory donut retainer bolt. It holds the tire tightly.

3. I had to cut the lip off of the foam jack holder to allow it to lay within the wheel. I did not cut off the felt lugs on the foam insert. This makes the fit very secure, but requires some squeezing to insert it. It may be preferable to cut those off also, but this works.

4. The factory lug nuts do not work on the new rim. The tire shop recommended using recessed splined nuts with a spline adapter tool to remove them. Their adapter tool had both a smaller size and larger size hex head. The factory lug wrench is the larger size & only engages about 1/2-depth because it is not deep enough to accommodate the smaller hex head. The tire shop was kind enough to cut off the smaller head on the adapter so that the factory wrench works. Other options would be to use taller lug nuts or to use a cross-wrench on the smaller size.

5. The 5 lug nuts & the spline adapter fit in a bag that fits inside the factory lug wrench holder.
6. I also had enough room inside the wheel to fit jumper cables beneath the tire jack.
7. No floor raising or other complications were necessary.
8.. The BF Goodrich's are Load Range-E & should offer improved puncture resistance. I'll let you know next spring how they ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
hereinhelena
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing