Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Rav4 with 86,000 miles. A few days after getting it home I realized that sometimes when I move the gear shift to the "park" position, it doesn't actually lock the wheels. It seems like only when the gear shift is only moved into "park" lightly is when the problem occurs. If the gear shift moves in to "park" with some momentum, the wheels lock just fine. As much as I'd like to take it back to the dealership and make it their problem, the dealership is 4.5 hours away. I am very mechanical and have done a lot with cars. But, I have never dealt with this problem before. My first thought would be that the shifter linkage needs adjustment. Any thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
The wheels have nothing to do with it. The transmission pawl for park is somehow out of kilter. Use the e-brake always when parking.
If you bought the 2.4l four cylinder check your oil every few days without fail. They guzzle oil but there is a possible fix if you search for it here.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What do you mean by not locking. I found that our RAV's parking gear has the most play out of any automatic transmission car I have ever driven. The car can roll back and forth nearly a foot before the paw stops it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, if you shift in to "park" gently, the dash indicator does not show that it is in park and the vehicle remains in a state that it will roll infinitely (not just a foot). Although, in this state, you are able to turn the key all of the way off and remove the key. If you then put the key back in and try to start it, it won't start due to the vehicle not actually being in "park" You then gotta play with the shifter until it goes in to "park". If you slam the shifter in to "park", it usually behaves properly and goes in to "park". Since I originally posted this, i adjusted the shifter cable and now it always goes in to "park". But, the gear that the vehicle is actually in is not necessarily the gear that it shows that it is in on the center console. The dash indicator does always show the correct gear that the vehicle is in though. Also, moving the shifter all of the back to "1" or "2", it actually only goes in to "3", as shown on the dash indicator. This is the V6 model, by the way.

It seems like there is some slop in the shifter mechanism, so I replaced it with a used one. This did not fix the problem.

When I disconnect the shifter cable from the shifter I can push and pull the shifter cable end to change the transmission in to all gears with without issue. Although, when I push and pull on the cable, the first 1/2" of push and pull just feels like backlash, which I am starting to suspect that is where my problem is. But, what could be causing this backlash?

The best way to describe the problem is that the shifter cable needs to move 3" to go all the way from "park" to "1", and the shifter is only providing 2 1/2" of travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where on the vehicle can I see the vehicle where the transmission cable connects to the transmission? I could not see it in the engine compartment.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Where on the vehicle can I see the vehicle where the transmission cable connects to the transmission? I could not see it in the engine compartment.
You have to remove the battery and battery tray. The shift lever and cable are right below it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the battery and tray out and it tuns out that the nut that holds the arm on to the shifter shaft had come loose. This is the best that I could have hoped for, A $0 fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2007 Rav4 with 86,000 miles. A few days after getting it home I realized that sometimes when I move the gear shift to the "park" position, it doesn't actually lock the wheels. It seems like only when the gear shift is only moved into "park" lightly is when the problem occurs. If the gear shift moves in to "park" with some momentum, the wheels lock just fine. As much as I'd like to take it back to the dealership and make it their problem, the dealership is 4.5 hours away. I am very mechanical and have done a lot with cars. But, I have never dealt with this problem before. My first thought would be that the shifter linkage needs adjustment. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2008 rav4 v6 sport. My car didn't want to start, so I got new battery and still nothing. When it was being prepared for towing the guy noticed that my car was rolling despite being in park. Got it to dealer and they said the bolt was missing for gears and the computer on car thought the car was in 3rd gear which is why it wouldn't start. So they found a bolt to fix it and they said it's back to normal! So happy. So far I am into this 270.00 for new battery delivery and install to the place where I was broke down. That includes extra 61.00 in had to pay because my insurance only covered a certain amount of Miles but I paid extra to get it to my dealer. Will find out later how much more the dealer will charge, but will be a minimum of another 150.00 for diagnostic :oops::cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts