Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since you have the wheels and a RAV, the most accurate and logical thing to do is to try fitting one of the Camry alloys onto your RAV.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why do Toyotas always tuck their wheels in so far? Drives me nuts how they overhang their bodies far past the wheel.

I've been casually looking at lighter weight wheels for my '12 and it's hard to find wheels with less offset to push them out wider to match the fenders. Think factory is about +40mm offset, would be great to find +15mm to move wheels out an inch. I'm not so much worried about added load to the bearings but pacers only add more rotational mass and more opportunity for something to become loose or ill aligned.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Rav4 and most of Toyotas have offset about 35 to 45, meant for sedans, so they tuck. This's great for less wind resistance.

But Toyota trucks are <35. You'll notice a lot of off road steel wheels are 0 to 25 offset. They'll push the wheels more laterally.

Or use spacers and get the exact fit you want.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Why do Toyotas always tuck their wheels in so far? Drives me nuts how they overhang their bodies far past the wheel.

I've been casually looking at lighter weight wheels for my '12 and it's hard to find wheels with less offset to push them out wider to match the fenders. Think factory is about +40mm offset, would be great to find +15mm to move wheels out an inch. I'm not so much worried about added load to the bearings but pacers only add more rotational mass and more opportunity for something to become loose or ill aligned.
Consider how wider stance wheels mess up stream-lining and all the road crap they will sling across the body. You have to drive in mud and snow to appreciate the mess. You can't exit the vehicle without totally messing up your pant legs.

But do your thing. Try spacers. Longer studs. Pay attention to brake clearances. Let us know how it goes for you.

(You might be happier with a different vehicle.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Front wheel drive rims vs. rear wheel drive????
Quotes:
- Ok...FWD cars use a different kinpin and wheel offset combination to achieve a much different scrub radius than a RWD car. Most FWD cars run a negative scrub radius (or sometimes 0), while most RWD cars run a positive scrub radius. It is NOT recommended to mismatch them, even if you can get them to fit. It can cause very poor handling and steering response characteristics.
- When selecting a wheel, you want to maintain the cars original scrub radius, if at all possible (unless you really know what you are doing and are very well versed in suspension theory). Small changes will not make a huge difference, but whatever you do, DO NOT change a negative scrub radius to positive, or vice versa.

PS - on wife's 2008 RAV4 v6.
- I got increased fender lip to rim coverage, buy installing 17x7.5" Highlander (2013) rims
- the Limited came with 17x7" alloys...so the extra 1/2" width helped, fill the wheel-well some

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
online tire and wheel calculators are great to check new sizes or offsets etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts