Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.
I’m wondering when and how to change transmission fluid?
take it to a mechanic at 60k miles and replace with Toyota fluid?
how many quarts (%) does come out when drained?
thank you

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, all.
I’m wondering when and how to change transmission fluid?
take it to a mechanic at 60k miles and replace with Toyota fluid?
how many quarts (%) does come out when drained?
thank you
I am plannig to change it at 30k then at every 60k. It is very easy to change the fluid on hybrid models. You fill it up until the fluid comes out of fill hole.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This has been debated in Prius forums. Toyota considers the fluid in their hybrid eCVT to be "lifetime" but many owners and some independent mechanics change the fluid periodically. So, there is no official interval. Some like to change it fairly early and then maybe every 50,000 to 60,000 miles.

Owners who don't come to forums and just go to their dealer for scheduled service never have it changed, yet failure of the eCVT is rare. One argument in favor, especially if you can do it yourself, is that the cost is low so it is cheap "insurance". Bottom line, you decide.

I believe that in a Prius, the eCVT takes about 3.5 quarts but it may be somewhat different in a Rav.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Fill/drain a couple of times to completely replace ATF. At 104F, let the ATF comes out to the proper level.
I am plannig to change it at 30k then at every 60k. It is very easy to change the fluid on hybrid models. You fill it up until the fluid comes out of fill hole.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
497 Posts
Good thread started by @Lindenwood over in the mechanical sub, advanced search is yo friend 🤘

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thread started by @Lindenwood over in the mechanical sub, advanced search is yo friend 🤘

I didn’t read the whole post but they have a 8 speed automatic and we have a cvt transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts