Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it works best in city driving. That's easy to understand. And driving down a straight freeway is also easy to grok.

My question is this: I live in a rural area and my most frequent driving will be on mountain roads. Lots of up and down with curves. Will the hybrid regeneration kick in for that sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
For sure. Anytime you are even coasting without a foot on the gas or brake it is regenerating. Not a whole lot mind you but the guage does indicate regeneration. And of course when you are braking at any time it is regenerating and going up hill with the engine running will also be regenerating.

Driving on the hiway the engine will always be running. I find maintaining speed at anything above about 80 kms/hr the engine always runs.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,121 Posts
Reading the manual is also sometimes illuminating.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
By the sound of things the OP doesn't have a hybrid rav4 yet, and perhaps wants to gain some knowledge from this wonderful forum instead of just reading a several hundred page PDF.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the sound of things the OP doesn't have a hybrid rav4 yet, and perhaps wants to gain some knowledge from this wonderful forum instead of just reading a several hundred page PDF.
Well, yes. I do not have one. I'm trying to figure out whether I want a Prius or a Rav4. It sounds silly but that's where I am. And as far as the manual thing goes... actually, it makes a lot of sense to do the reading. I suppose there might be a copy of it online somewhere. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, yes. I do not have one. I'm trying to figure out whether I want a Prius or a Rav4. It sounds silly but that's where I am. And as far as the manual thing goes... actually, it makes a lot of sense to do the reading. I suppose there might be a copy of it online somewhere. I'll have to look.

I might be wrong, but for country driving it will do you better with a RAV4, it should handle some roads with rough conditions better. For me, it always make me feel better inside a suv during winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Prius 4, it's noisier and rougher riding than my Hybrid, and the ground clearance really sucks as far as any mild offroading is concerned, I considered a Prius 5 once upon a time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife has a 2015 Prius 4, it's noisier and rougher riding than my Hybrid, and the ground clearance really sucks as far as any mild offroading is concerned, I considered a Prius 5 once upon a time.
If I had my choice, I'd have a Prius and a pickup truck. I have a 40 acre parcel and lots of junk to move around. But I only have to move big stuff once in a while. The Rav4 would be handy for much of that. Also, I want the cool safety features in TSS. It turns out it's cheaper to get a Rav4 hybrid with those features than a Prius.

So, does that sway me to the Rav4? Not yet. I'm obsessed with getting the best milage I can out of my car. Don't ask me why... I just am. I'm driving a 2009 Malibu now and I'm getting every drop's worth of fuel. That's about 28.5 MPG. I've driven the new Prius and I like it. I suppose I should go test drive a Rav4 too. I need to find a new dealer though. I may have worn out my welcome at the dealership where I'm visiting ;)

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
In my humble opinion, I give the nod to the the RAV4 Hybrid. I moved from a Prius to the RAV4 Hybrid. I say this, not having test driven the 2016 Prius. Either way, you will be a winner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I live where you can't get a cell signal (hence I can't purchase a cell phone for home use) and every driveway is a dirt road that disappears into the trees. I don't run into situations I can't handle in just about any car in good weather. I have friends who live on the top of a mountain (we are near Yosemite) and I can't get up there in the winter time when they have snow. I don't get snow since I live lower. So, off roading is of limited use to me... except when I take the garbage "out." I don't have garbage collection services and must take my own to the dump. Since losing my truck in a divorce, I've been most hesitant to take my car in to drop off waste several items.

I'll have to sleep on this decision some. I'm stuck in Utah for the summer anyway so I've got time to consider. Both vehicles have features I like. I want the benefits of long term ownership and thriftiness and I'll live with the consequences either way. Neither will replace the truck. I don't want the expense of a truck though. Time to sell my cargo trailers. ;)

Michelle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts