Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 3500 miles on my Rav now, and just the 2nd time I hit the low fuel light. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank. What I noticed this time was when I hit 1/4 tank, the gauge dropped very rapidly. Then after the low fuel light came on, I drove maybe 10 miles then filled up. It only took 12.3 gallons of gas, and manual says it holds 15.9?
This seems very odd to me. So just as the needle hits slightly above empty (where my light comes on), I actually have darn near 1/4 tank?
Are others seeing this? I don't remember seeing this posted, I would think others would question the reserve capacity if so.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes there is a reserve of close to 3 gallons or something like that. It is "normal". Pretty high reserve though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is a reserve of close to 3 gallons or something like that. It is "normal". Pretty high reserve though.
My manual says 2.5 gallons reserve is when the light should come on. This shows in my case it is just under 4 gallons in my Rav.

G

·
You need to have some fuel (about 2 gallons), in the tank to keep the pump primed, and to keep it cool.
Figure the usable fuel is about 13.5 gallons.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
We've discussed this many times on the previous generation. The conclusion being that when the light comes on, you have between 3-4 gallons left. Mine is pretty much at 4 gallons, so I don't need to panic when the light comes on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have about 3500 miles on my Rav now, and just the 2nd time I hit the low fuel light. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank. What I noticed this time was when I hit 1/4 tank, the gauge dropped very rapidly. Then after the low fuel light came on, I drove maybe 10 miles then filled up. It only took 12.3 gallons of gas, and manual says it holds 15.9?
This seems very odd to me. So just as the needle hits slightly above empty (where my light comes on), I actually have darn near 1/4 tank?
Are others seeing this? I don't remember seeing this posted, I would think others would question the reserve capacity if so.
You must be relatively new at owning a car. Every car I've ever had has been like this--it helps keep you from running out of gas.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must be relatively new at owning a car. Every car I've ever had has been like this--it helps keep you from running out of gas.
Yes, 5 brand new Toyotas and over 15 cars in my lifetime kinda new.

Never had a low fuel light come on with 1/4 tank left on ANY of them. When the gauge reads empty, I literally have 1/4 tank left.

Did you miss the part that the manual states reserve is 2.5 gallons and mine comes on with 4 left??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, 5 brand new Toyotas and over 15 cars in my lifetime kinda new.

Never had a low fuel light come on with 1/4 tank left on ANY of them. When the gauge reads empty, I literally have 1/4 tank left.

Did you miss the part that the manual states reserve is 2.5 gallons and mine comes on with 4 left??
The 2.5 gallons in the manual is an estimate. Remember that gas sloshes around in the tank. This can cause the light to come on sooner or later depending on the sloshing action in the tank.

You sound kind of testy. No need to be. I really thought you might be very young and this is your first or second car since all of my cars follow the 1/4 tank light pattern. The cars you have owned did not. Now we both know that there is some variation from car to car as to when this light comes on and it can be common either way.

Cheers

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2.5 gallons in the manual is an estimate. Remember that gas sloshes around in the tank. This can cause the light to come on sooner or later depending on the sloshing action in the tank.

You sound kind of testy. No need to be. I really thought you might be very young and this is your first or second car since all of my cars follow the 1/4 tank light pattern. The cars you have owned did not. Now we both know that there is some variation from car to car as to when this light comes on and it can be common either way.

Cheers
My low fuel light comes on and stays on. If it were a "tank sloshy" issue it would go back off, not stay on while sitting idling in a parking lot. I'm not testy, but no, I don't appreciate being assumed to be a rookie driver after over 40 years of driving either. Why make that assumption when as posted below, many have questioned the low fuel capacity not being what is stated. Yes, it's an estimate, just like gas mileage. If my mileage (or about anything else) was was off by 60% I would question that also.
My only question here is when does others go off to determine if mine is beyond the normal range of what others are seeing.

We've discussed this many times on the previous generation. The conclusion being that when the light comes on, you have between 3-4 gallons left. Mine is pretty much at 4 gallons, so I don't need to panic when the light comes on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Easy solution... Put the lawnmower gas can in the car (full). Hit the trip meter when the light comes on. Drive until it runs out. The trip meter tells you how many miles you can go after the light comes on. Repeat as necessary for different driving conditions.

I did this once with my 2016 Limited and got almost exactly 100 miles. This equates to about 3.3 gallons left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife sent me a text today afraid she wasn't going make home as the light turned on on the way to pick up our daughter which is about 7 miles away. As the car is still new'ish (just rolled 1k miles) and I'm tracking her MPG (which came in at 20.1 MPG), I took the car to the gas station and filled up to the first click of the handle...12.446 gallons.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife sent me a text today afraid she wasn't going make home as the light turned on on the way to pick up our daughter which is about 7 miles away. As the car is still new'ish (just rolled 1k miles) and I'm tracking her MPG (which came in at 20.1 MPG), I took the car to the gas station and filled up to the first click of the handle...12.446 gallons.
As fuel tank capacity is 15.9, then reserve had almost 3.5 gallons. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just as I pulled up to the pump this morning(11/30/2017), the light came on.When the gas pump handle clicked off, I had added 12.187 gallons.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Easy solution... Put the lawnmower gas can in the car (full). Hit the trip meter when the light comes on. Drive until it runs out. The trip meter tells you how many miles you can go after the light comes on. Repeat as necessary for different driving conditions.

I did this once with my 2016 Limited and got almost exactly 100 miles. This equates to about 3.3 gallons left when the light comes on.
^^ Good to know.

I driven for 45 years, and possibly the newer vehicles have a much larger fuel reserve (3.5 gal), than in the past.
- I've driven older cars, and could count on 25 free miles / before an empty tank

I believe the larger fuel reserve is for a much bigger margin of safety, as many of today's drivers know much less, in operation of an automobile and pay even less attention to the dash gauges.
- plus in cold winter climates, its best to maintain a 1/2 tank of gas
- so condensing water vapor doesn't accumulate in the fuel tank
- running around on a 1/4 tank of fuel, is potentially dangerous in harsh stormy weather

^^ So Toyota Engineers, have designed the "low fuel light" to come on early...to help drivers out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts