Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rav4 hybrid instrument cluster ev - Google Search

If that green EV light is on, does it mean we are in pure EV mode?

I only asked because when the display shows the dynamics among the hybrid battery, the gasoline engine and the tires/wheels, it is only when I gently step on the accelerator pedal that I can see the hybrid battery powering the wheels.

Any time I take my foot off the pedal, the arrow points from wheels to the hybrid battery.

Also, what exactly does this Ready light mean?

·
Registered
23 Posts

I only asked because when the display shows the dynamics among the hybrid battery, the gasoline engine and the tires/wheels, it is only when I gently step on the accelerator pedal that I can see the hybrid battery powering the wheels.

Any time I take my foot off the pedal, the arrow points from wheels to the hybrid battery.

Yes to the EV light question.

When the arrow points from the wheels to the battery, the battery is being charged by the motor/generator units. This simulates the engine drag effect that you get in a non-hybrid vehicle when you take your foot off the pedal.

The ready light means that the computer systems have booted and have completed the system checks, and the the car is ready to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have found with me that sometimes I think I have turned the R4H on and put it into drive, but the ready light didn't come on. I have also found there is a slight lag from button push to the ready state. So I adopted this routine. When I get in the car, while getting seated by foot goes to the brake pedal and applies gentle force, at the same time I am closing the door. Once the door is closed, I hit the power button and put on my seat belt, this takes care of any lag in the system and you are instantly ready to go. I don't know how many times I've hit the power button but the ready light didn't come on. Was almost embarrassing the first couple of times I tried to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts

That EV light bugs me a little, it comes on and off too frequently when driving in town. It indicates that you can use EV mode (i.e., there is enough battery power to cruise slowly in a parking lot). EV mode is for less than 25 mph, when traveling in parking garages. However, on several occasions, I have pushed the EV mode button and the car says "nope, not enough battery power!" but the light was ON. Anyway, that light does turn off when you are cruising on the highway (thanks for that). I don't think that the light being ON means you are in pure EV mode. It means you could use it, should you wish to (and push the EV mode button). Somebody correct me, cause this is what I have understood so far.

The Ready light mean you car is ON and can move from park (I think).

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That EV light bugs me a little, it comes on and off too frequently when driving in town. It indicates that you can use EV mode (i.e., there is enough battery power to cruise slowly in a parking lot). EV mode is for less than 25 mph, when traveling in parking garages. However, on several occasions, I have pushed the EV mode button and the car says "nope, not enough battery power!" but the light was ON. Anyway, that light does turn off when you are cruising on the highway (thanks for that). I don't think that the light being ON means you are in pure EV mode. It means you could use it, should you wish to (and push the EV mode button). Somebody correct me, cause this is what I have understood so far.

The Ready light mean you car is ON and can move from park (I think).
The RAV4 is my wife's but as I was driving it the past two days, I noticed that lightly stepping on the gas pedal made it go from hybrid battery to wheels but stepping any further would have turned the green EV light off so I'm thinking when EV light is on, the RAV4 must be in pure EV or close to pure EV mode.

Then I wondered why the flow of energy was from wheels to the hybrid battery when I didn't step on the gas but Post #2 kinda confirmed all is good as long as the EV mode is on.

I was tempted to switch to EV mode from ECO when backing out of the garage but my wife will likely forget to switch back to ECO so I will leave it on ECO :)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The EV indicator is covered in the manual on page 75, it's not the same as EV driving mode, although it will be on when in EV driving mode.

EV indicator

The EV indicator comes on when the
vehicle is driven using only the electric
motor (traction motor) or the gasoline
engine is stopped.

Conditions in which the gasoline engine may not stop

The gasoline engine starts and stops automatically. However, it may not stop
automatically in the following conditions:

During gasoline engine warm-up

During hybrid battery (traction battery) charging

When the temperature of the hybrid battery (traction battery) is high or low

When the heater is switched on

·
Registered
71 Posts
^ Thanks for clarifying the difference between EV driving mode and the EV light.

That light comes on and off and on and off... It is a very redundant pesky little light, when the car has at least 2 other main ways to instantly show where power is coming from, being distributed, or being regenerated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts