Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Rav4 4WD

So first off I live in Costa Rica which makes everything with this 5x more complicated.Jump to the last paragraph if you don't need the background of what's been tried and such. 6 weeks ago I was driving down the road and all of a sudden I heard a bit of a pop and the revs dropped from 3x to under 1x and then the car died. It would turn over, but pretty much die as soon as it turned over. Even when it would run (For no more than 5 seconds) it sounded like it was misfiring.

Mechanic's are all stumped. First tested everything physical and it seemed fine. Called in an electrical mechanic and likewise it's not throwing any error codes. They run out of ideas, someone on Reddit suggests disconnecting the MAP Sensor (the car had previously had symptoms of a MAP Sensor issue like reduced fuel milage, failed emissions test for high CO ratings, etc.). Finally get the car to turn on and stay on, albeit not running smoothly.

As soon as you plug in the MAP Sensor the car shuts off. So had to buy a new MAP Sensor from the US (because even the Toyota agency in Costa Rica doesn't have them, nor any of the auto parts stores). Just had my brother fly it down today only to connect it and exactly the same behavior. The mechanic wasn't in so I hooked it up myself (I'm a mechanic novice, but it was simple enough just plug in the hose and wiring harness). My brother said after we left that he noticed that the green wire in the harness looked like it was exposed, so perhaps that would play into it. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for what else to look at?

Edit: Added car model.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Check out the following link - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/199738-map-sensor.html

Also some more info:

Look for a vacuum leak. While some people suspect oxy sensors with mixture faults, the oxy sensors just REPORT the problem, and are not the source of the problem in most cases. Oxy sensors only read oxygen in the exhaust, so a misfire can read as high oxygen, as can a lean burn, vacuum leak, and other problems.

Check the EGR VSV if it isn't working right I understand that it can cause a vacuum issue. Have fun wth this one because you have a 4x4, it is in a very difficult to get at location behind the engine where the intake manifold splits and between cylinders 2 & 3. If you can get it unplugged just buy a new one and attach it to the fire wall.

Type 4.1 map in "search" and it will give you pages of info.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
The AFR Sensor (the one in the exhaust manifold) can cause a similar problem, check the resistance of it to determine it's condition; it may throw a PO171 error code.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Did you figure out what the problem was?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts