Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the manual says to check the valves by just listening to them rather then giving a mileage time frame but when the time comes , what are we listening for ?
My 2000 has 96 KLM on it and sounds the same as it did when I picked it up with 86KLM 's .
Should it be going this long with out an adjustment ?

Are the valves controled by hydraulic lifters or screw type ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
the valve adjustment is by measuring the clearance then changing the bucket/shim... there are no screws!

i've had mine for 138k kms & even the clearances are somewhat near the max limit (checked @ 117k kms) it still doesn't make much noise from the valves.

stelly should be the best person to answer this with his experience with high milage rav's.

personally, i'll leave it until it's really noisy & have to have other major work on the head... same with the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
542 Posts
on the top if i remember right. there are special tools for depressing the valves and another one for removing the shim pucks. i know the corolla engines use inverted buckets so the cam shafts must be removed!

toyota have had a long time to figure out what materials to use to keep wear on the cam/shims and valve head/seats at the same rate!! in theory, you should never have to change the shims unless there is excessive wear on one or the other due to lack of/too old oil or too much heat or something eating away at the valves and seats..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts