Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on the Limited with the auto function. We've tried changing a/c modes, fan speed, pressing the pollen filtration and what not but it seems that recirculating mode is only available when cooling the cabin, and not when heating the cabin interior?

Any trick to make this work? During the transition from fall to winter, there's a good couple of weeks where slight heat may be required but that we'd like to have the air re-circulated within the cabin.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I have noticed, if your fan setting is on the windshield (front or rear or both), the recirculating mode is not available.
Try to set the fan either to front or legs or both and turn on the recirculation.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You have a recirc button. In auto mode you can still use that without changing the "auto" functions. By design, recirc mode uses 20% fresh air. The "pollen" button gives you a few minutes of full recirc. Consult the manual for specifics and limitations.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will have a read at that section of the manual again. Yes, we do have the recirculation button but it won't work likely because my wife had the defogger mode on.

Didn't know that recirculation meant 20% outside air and the only way to get full recirculation was through the pollen filtration button. May have missed reading that.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Didn't know that recirculation meant 20% outside air and the only way to get full recirculation was through the pollen filtration button. May have missed reading that.
That's the law, its unsafe to have no fresh air. Auto mode will handle 90% of your needs. As soon as you start forcing defrost or other things, auto mode is off. The only 2 things that won't effect that are the A/C and recirc buttons.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
During the transition from fall to winter, there's a good couple of weeks where slight heat may be required but that we'd like to have the air re-circulated within the cabin..
Sorry I can't answer your question regarding the 4.4 models, but I was wondering if you could share your reason for wanting this ability.

I know that re-circulation should theoretically decrease cool-down and warm-up times in extreme temperatures, but you specifically want this feature for "During the transition from fall to winter, there's a good couple of weeks where slight heat may be required".

Having re-circulate on at any time of the year creates a stuffiness (lack of freshness) in the vehicle, and it certainly causes the windows to fog and ice-up during the winter months.

Just interested in knowing if there is a benefit for this that I have overlooked.

·
Registered
379 Posts
On my car, with the system set to full auto mode, it stays in recirc mode until the outside temps drop about five degrees below the set temperatures. I can override without leaving auto mode but letting the system do it's own thing means it's in recirc mode about 90% of the time. It's just my assumption, but I think it does that to minimize the need for the AC compressor in an attempt to maximize fuel economy. What they used to say on manual systems years ago was to never use recirc in heat mode and especially in defrost mode as it would promote an increase in humidity in the car and encourage window fogging. This was before they set the systems to run the AC in defrost mode. I think they stick with the practice on the auto modes these days. Personally, I've never seen the need for recirc in colder temperatures. I'd rather have the fresh air, but to each their own.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I can't answer your question regarding the 4.4 models, but I was wondering if you could share your reason for wanting this ability.

I know that re-circulation should theoretically decrease cool-down and warm-up times in extreme temperatures, but you specifically want this feature for "During the transition from fall to winter, there's a good couple of weeks where slight heat may be required".

Having re-circulate on at any time of the year creates a stuffiness (lack of freshness) in the vehicle, and it certainly causes the windows to fog and ice-up during the winter months.

Just interested in knowing if there is a benefit for this that I have overlooked.
Although emissions from cars have gone done considerably, these are still noxious gases coming out of their tail pipes. There are also diesel fueled trucks, buses and vehicles (VW scandal shows pollutants being at least 5x the government standards).

It's definitely less of an issue in cold weather because these particulates should quickly rise.

I also would rather have recirculation when it's not too cold (late fall) because the windows don't really fog up.

We've stayed well back (at least 3-5 feet) of the cars in front us while waiting for a go signal.

I'm not a clean freak but of course would like to avoid having to inhale all these gases when we can avoid them.

Now I realized from someone's post here that even with the refresh on, 20% of the air is coming from outside. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts