Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble locating my maintenance schedule for my '04, the little blue book that tells you what to do every 5k miles. Is that available online anywhere?

Thanks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know of any Rav-specific schedule on the Internet, but what do you need to know? I'm pretty much a walking maintenance shedule.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's just the online version of the schedule that Toyota provides with all their recent trucks and SUV's, I got the paper version with my owner's manual when I bought the Rav. It's fairly general and not Rav-specific, but can give you a good idea of when to perform certain maintenance. There's another similar schedule that Toyota uses for it's cars and minivans.

I find it funny that every Toyota dealer you go to has their own recommended service schedule, and they never match up to the schedule provided by Toyota. If you were to choose between the dealer's service schedule and Toyota's service schedule, go with the one from Toyota, because often the one from the dealer suggests a lot of stuff that you don't need. They just want to make some extra money for stuff beyond what the factory recommends.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Jeff said:
That's just the online version of the schedule that Toyota provides with all their recent trucks and SUV's, I got the paper version with my owner's manual when I bought the RAV. It's fairly general and not RAV-specific, but can give you a good idea of when to perform certain maintenance. There's another similar schedule that Toyota uses for it's cars and minivans.
These appear to be model specific -

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/truck_service_04.pdf

The RAV4 section starts on page 23 of this file.

I'm not aware of any brochure that is more RAV4 specific. :?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind, I found mine, but thanks.

The thread is worthy of a short reply, though. Seems to me that the list of items the dealer told me he'd do for my 30K mile service is more than the book calls for. The dealer(s) want around $400 for the service (ouch).

I had my 25Kmile service done at a dealer in WV. It was just an oil change and tire rotation. They stuck one of those little reminders on the corner of the windshield to have another oil change in 3000 miles, whereas according to Toyota literature, it should be every 5K. Interesting...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually its better to change your oil earlier at every 3k miles, because as the oil gets used it gets dirtier, absorbs and contains heat, and causes more friction which wastes power and overheats your engine. Also your MPG goes down.

^^

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
True, but the 3000 mile figure is a very dated figure that many hold onto just because that's how it's always been or dealers/lube shops do because that gets them more money more often.

Most engines can handle today's dino or semi-syn oil for at least 5k. Full synthetic can go 10k+. But always stick to the manufacturer suggested schedule during warranty. Severe schedule if you make lots of short trips of 15 minutes or less.

Only way to know what your particular driving habits require is to get a used oil anaylsis which will show you how things are wearing and the oil is holding up. It's becoming a popular thing to do among enthusiasts.

www.bobistheoilguy.com is an excellent source of information.

And yeah, dealer service schedules are complete ripoffs. For major service intervals they want hundreds of dollars just to inspect and lube things! If you just take it in for an oil change they're going to inspect things they could bill you for to repair anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
nouse4aname said:
True, but the 3000 mile figure is a very dated figure that many hold onto just because that's how it's always been or dealers/lube shops do because that gets them more money more often.

Most engines can handle today's dino or semi-syn oil for at least 5k. Full synthetic can go 10k+. But always stick to the manufacturer suggested schedule during warranty. Severe schedule if you make lots of short trips of 15 minutes or less.
very true, how do you think places like Jiffy Lube stay in business?
and another thing to remember, always follow the manufacturer's recommended oil weight. usually it's 5-30W. if you go to these places or the dealer's. they will always stick you with 10-30W oil. it's one of those dated practices while it's not bad for your engine, it will affect your mileage and will cause hard starting in winter mornings due to the thicker oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts