Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Where is the flasher relay?

23756 18
Does any one know how to get to the flasher relay? I have been trying to find out where it is by listening to it but I still could not. Any one has done this could show me would be a great help. Thanks guys ... :nerd
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
722 Posts
Does any one know how to get to the flasher relay? I have been trying to find out where it is by listening to it but I still could not. Any one has done this could show me would be a great help. Thanks guys ... :nerd
What is it you want to do with the flasher when you find it?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is it you want to do with the flasher when you find it?
Cook it then eat it of course. J/k >:D
I am going to replace it with the one that would work with LED bulbs. I want to change all my signal bulbs to LED ones. I think that there should be one, it is just buried deep some where under the steering wheel area which I have not got a chance to find out yet.

· Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,508 Posts
Cook it then eat it of course. J/k >:D
I am going to replace it with the one that would work with LED bulbs. I want to change all my signal bulbs to LED ones. I think that there should be one, it is just buried deep some where under the steering wheel area which I have not got a chance to find out yet.
Have you tried following the clicking sound?

G

·
OMG, where did the picture go... ? Well, while I try to find it again, I can tell you that the Relay is behind the instrument panel, tucked way high (almost to the dash).

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is somewhat tricky. Since I already have the relay for LED, I really want to do it this way. But I also have the load resistors, so if it works out by just adding one load resistor to the left side and one load resistor to the right side, I'd use the resistors instead.

I've read that you could use 50w 3ohm resistor on each side if you are replacing all signal bulbs to LED.

· Registered
134 Posts
THE key would be what yr ur rav4 is.................
per this site - CEC Industries, LTD. Your Global Partner In Lighting Solutions
2009 - present don't appear to have a relay.
2001-2008 have an ELM449 LED compatible relay
pre-2001 have a thermal relay. << these would require an extra load or different relay.

Usually, the rear flasher bulb and brake light r the same.
Therefore, the load should be placed across the bulbs in such a manner that current only flows thru the resistor when the flasher is active.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I just took apart my dash and the gauges, and I found out that the clicking sound is from a small speaker on the back side of the gauges assembly. So I guess there is no relay after all that we could replace. I'm going to add some load resistors for my LED bulbs to work then.

· Registered
134 Posts
I would try it without the load first. Depending on how it is driven and what bulb-out ckt is present it may work without them. No sense in wasting power. Those resistors will end up heating up ANY time the bulb is powered.
Also, the load attaches ACROSS the bulb not in series with it. It seemed to me that u indicated a series connection previously.
I am curious about the driver and its connection. But without a wiring diagram one cannot tell if it is possible to connect the load such that it is only there when the signals r used.

good luck

G

·
So I just took apart my dash and the gauges, and I found out that the clicking sound is from a small speaker on the back side of the gauges assembly. So I guess there is no relay after all that we could replace.
That's weird, cause the toyota web site states "Electrical, Lighting and Body/Flasher Units, Fuses, and Circuit Breakers for 2013 Toyota RAV4"

And shows the pic I put in... I guess it's wrong.. Sorry about that..

· Registered
58 Posts
So I just took apart my dash and the gauges, and I found out that the clicking sound is from a small speaker on the back side of the gauges assembly. So I guess there is no relay after all that we could replace. I'm going to add some load resistors for my LED bulbs to work then.
As I said weeks ago, they don't normally put "flashers" in new vehicles (I have an 05 without) but it does sound like it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would try it without the load first. Depending on how it is driven and what bulb-out ckt is present it may work without them. No sense in wasting power. Those resistors will end up heating up ANY time the bulb is powered.
Also, the load attaches ACROSS the bulb not in series with it. It seemed to me that u indicated a series connection previously.
I am curious about the driver and its connection. But without a wiring diagram one cannot tell if it is possible to connect the load such that it is only there when the signals r used.

good luck
Thanks for your concern but yes, I'm connecting the load resistors in PARALLEL to the bulbs. Last time I swapped in one LED to the front and instead of flashing automatically 3 times, it did 9 times and very fast in the fashion of bulb out fast. And because I'm only adding the loads to the signal circuits so "it's only there when the signals r used"

· Registered
99 Posts
I'm an older woman with a new 2019 rav4 hybrid and my turn signal flashers are too low in volume, but I guess I'll live with it. Wish I'd bought a Pontiac, best car I've ever owned and it had NO
problems with it and it was loaded with everything, unlike Toyota. This will be my last Toyota. Actually, should have kept my 2013 Camry LE...i loved it.

· Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I'm an older woman with a new 2019 rav4 hybrid and my turn signal flashers are too low in volume, but I guess I'll live with it. Wish I'd bought a Pontiac, best car I've ever owned and it had NO
problems with it and it was loaded with everything, unlike Toyota. This will be my last Toyota. Actually, should have kept my 2013 Camry LE...i loved it.
Flasher volume on the 5th gen has three setting, low, med and high, but it can only be set using Techstream customization (either service dept or laptop software) or Carista.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.