Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'll be getting my 2005 RAV4 Sport, next week. It doesn't come with fog lamps - I'd like to put some in myself. Where can I buy them? Will they come with instructions? Thanks !

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm thinking that you can, although it depends on how much you want to spend. I don't know if the dealership has them as an option. You might want to ask them.
Miriam

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fog lamps

I asked, and the dealer doesn't add fog lights. I read in one of the forums that it can be done aftermarket, but I'm not sure which fog lamps to buy....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same story from my dealership here in Vancouver. But I went straight to the Parts Dept instead and had them order all the parts necessary to add OEM fog lights to my new RAV. I was told that there is no "complete kit" of parts for fog lamps, the Parts Dept has to order all the bits separately and have Service install them. This made them kinda expensive but the look is worth it as it really fills out the front of the car (I would have hated those black plastic filler inserts) and they are great on rainy days. Just watch out for how and where they want to install the switch! In Canada, versions that come with fog lamps have the switch integrated into the headlight stem on the steering column. Fogs installed after need a separate switch on the dash somewhere.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fog lamps

if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost for you to have them installed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here

I want to do the same thing. The link below is from this page in the Links area:

http://rav4world.com/index/foglighthints.pdf

I've talked to two different Toyota parts departments and here is the cost for the OEM items needed:

Light Housings - $117 each
Brackets - $16 each
Bulbs - $23 each
Switch - between $20 to $30

So I'm figuring around $350 with me doing the installing.

Now as for the wiring harness. One dealer told me the wiring didn't exist while the other said he's almost positive it does. I've got a 2005 Sport. I'm thinking when I decide to spend the $$$ on the lights, Ill cross the wiring harness bridge when I come to it. If I have to I can always buy a wiring harness for another brand.

Anyway, I hope this information helps. If (when) I do this, I'll post the outcome.

Scott

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My complete cost was C$345 dealership installed plus taxes.
I had them use an illuminated switch mounted on the dashboard to the lower left of the steering column where there were a couple of blank switch locations (and the style of the switch matched the look of the one that is there for the alarm/immobilizer). If you are having the dealership install them, I recommend that you ask them them about having them tied into the headlights (i.e. fogs work only when headlights are on) as I finally had them put on a circuit of their own (which means I could turn them on without the headlights being on). Before, when they were tied in together, it caused some strange problems with my dashboard lighting...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for your post Ken, but I don't really understand what you're saying. Do you recommend having them tied into your headlights so that they can only be used when the headlights are on, or do you recommend that the foglights be separate so you can use them independently of the headlights?

ken b said:
My complete cost was C$345 dealership installed plus taxes.
I had them use an illuminated switch mounted on the dashboard to the lower left of the steering column where there were a couple of blank switch locations (and the style of the switch matched the look of the one that is there for the alarm/immobilizer). If you are having the dealership install them, I recommend that you ask them them about having them tied into the headlights (i.e. fogs work only when headlights are on) as I finally had them put on a circuit of their own (which means I could turn them on without the headlights being on). Before, when they were tied in together, it caused some strange problems with my dashboard lighting...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dang

Sounds like my dealer is charging too much, even though there is a difference in currency... Thanks for the info Ken.

Scott

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
This is the cheapest place I've found for Toyota parts. The part illustrations are handy too. Haven't gotten anything from them for the RAV yet, but been pleased with the service for my Celica.

linky

$87 each for the assembly.
$10 each for the retainers
$15 each for the bulbs

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry that wasn't clear. What I should simply have said was don't have them tied into the headlights--i don't think that it is necessary from a user point of view, and you might run into the same problems my dealership had when they first installed them. Plus, it's probably another relay that you won't need to pay for...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one drawback

By the way, there is one drawback to not having them wired through the headlight switch--they don't turn off automatically with the headlamps and there's no reminder chime.
But I accept this as it's preferable to having the dash lights (and that stupid light behind the odometer) flicker when the switch was turned on--this was something that the dealership was unable to rectify so I had them put the fogs on a separate switch.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the info. It was really helpful!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys i was just wondering something cause i'm in the same boat. I want to get OEM foglamps but i don't know where to get them or how much they will be. I currently own a 2005 rav4 with the round style fogs. any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there are so many links you should add to the link section kelly...

for Jaos product, for bushwacker, EGR, TTE, that lexus toyota import shop... and lots of other good stores not in your list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts