Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Rav4 XLE and the built in GPS is acting dumber than usual (I still use the car GPS for long drives to save wireless data). Where can I download new maps data to load onto the MicroSD?

Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just called the dealership, if your car is still under warranty the map updates are free. If not, they're $68.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Think I'll try your dealer, they're $140 here, doesn't matter if under warranty or not, the map data base in my '16 Ltd HV is dated June '15 as I recollect, build date is Jan '16, so it was dated when I bought it. From my research don't plan on much of a change in data with an update, you'll get more up to date Navigation maps using Waze or a Garmin type Nav from what's been reported here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'll try your dealer, they're $140 here, doesn't matter if under warranty or not, the map data base in my '16 Ltd HV is dated June '15 as I recollect, build date is Jan '16, so it was dated when I bought it. From my research don't plan on much of a change in data with an update, you'll get more up to date Navigation maps using Waze or a Garmin type Nav from what's been reported here.
I have the xle which came with Entune. Maybe because you have the LTD you have a higher end infotainment system? Regardless, map updates should really be downloadable. Entune is my biggest and only gripe with my RAV4.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Off topic. My car have no Nav. I've been using Google map offline on my Android phone which is OK. Lately I use "Here We Go" offline. Free app from Google play store which I find is better. Gives me over-speed warning, (Set to your choice), choice of routes, turn by turn audio and others. Have to download maps beforehand though. Maps can be stored in phone's internal or sd card memory. I've also downloaded to my old Samsung 7" tab for in car use which works even better.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think your post is off topic, I was about to say a similar thing. OP said that he used in car GPS to save on wireless data. I personally find phone GPS systems so good I don't see the need to upgrade to a trim level/package in a car that has GPS/Navigation + I don't think phone GPS systems use as much data as people think. However, I recognize roaming data is another story, in which case I likewise use "Here we go" offline with previously downloaded maps.

I normally work evening shifts, but need to be up early anyhow to get kids ready for school. So last year I figured, I am up already, why not drive for Uber in the mornings. I did that for about 5 months until the novelty wore off. I always drove using data, both Uber app and google maps running for about 4hrs/day, I never went over my monthly 2GB limit. So even with that supposedly double dose of data use, it was not really as heavy as I thought.

Off topic. My car have no Nav. I've been using Google map offline on my Android phone which is OK. Lately I use "Here We Go" offline. Free app from Google play store which I find is better. Gives me over-speed warning, (Set to your choice), choice of routes, turn by turn audio and others. Have to download maps beforehand though. Maps can be stored in phone's internal or sd card memory. I've also downloaded to my old Samsung 7" tab for in car use which works even better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts