Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a reference material that can be used to get estimates for labor times to repair vehicles?

Specifically I am looking for a 98 Rav4 4WD transfer case removal/reinstalltion estimate.

I dropped mine off at a shop the other day with an agreed upon charge for the labor of replacing. Today the shop is trying to add on 20 hours of labor and trying to charge me for unrelated parts that I don't need changed in the transmission. They haven't made repairs on what i sent it in for yet. Basically $3K over what we had agreed upon or above the original estimate.

I am gathering data so that I can get the shop to charge me the original price. I have a strong case for a lawsuit given the specific circumstances but would rather reason with them and not have to bother with that amount of crap. This is shop is part of a nationwide chain. The local shop has treated a friend of mine well in the past but is really trying to rip me off.

I would like to meet with the shop manager on Monday with a filled out complaint to the attoney generals office all ready to turn in if I dont get what was in my original agreement. I have only spoken with the mechanics and the "salesman" so far but would like to go in with all the info at my disposal.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't think the labor cost should break $1000 to do that.

What are the problems that you are trying to get fixed? Are they replacing the whole unit, replacing a few parts, rebuilding it, etc? It's one thing to just remove and replace the unit, but it takes more time to dismantle and rebuild the unit, such as to replace worn parts.

I think if you give us all the specifics we could help you out more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am specifically looking for labor time estimates on the removal and reinstallation of the transfer case from the vehicle.

I am replacing with a remanufactured unit so there should not be addtional labor for dissassembling the transfer case itself.

Out of curiosity I would like to know the labor estimate for a replacing the ring and pinion gear in the transfer case.

Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to contact the local Toyota dealer and get a labor estimate with them. 11.8 is the Reynolds time estimate for removal and replcament of a transfer case. I was able to use the time estimate from the Toyota dealer to reach an agreement on what proper charges would be for my vehicle. I got him to agree to perform the procedure for the original quote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts