Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time posting, but this site helped me out in getting my Bomz intake installed. Thanks everyone! The Bomz intake I got came from Ebay, so it should be farily known here.

I'd like to know, which K&N filter fits this particular intake, and where can I get it? I'll want to upgrade it eventually. And also, where can I get a heat shield that matches the K&N filter?

Ive seen so many people post about both here, and how important each is, but no one says where they got their filters/heat shields from? Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :D

You might want to clarify what type of intake system you are intending to build. There is a short ram intake; like your BOMZ intake. You can put an heat shield on that to shield it from direct engine heat. Those heat shields have to be custom fabricated because nobody manufactures them.

If you are thinking about a true cold air induction system that feeds cool air from somewhere outside of the engine bay; those are also custom made. There are many members here who have fabricated systems from different manufacturers. You might want to do a search in our 4.1 modifications forums for ideas.

Once you decide on a system that is right for you, we can help you on what parts, etc. for your project. :D

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Welcome elninyo821. And Roger that Derek. I guess the person who most recently tackled this project was me, and pancake. Getting COLD! air to the intake will give you good power. Of course a good exhaust will also help a great deal. One thing you should watch out for. The mufflers sound. Since the intake is, lets say a FREE FLOW cold air intake/muffler, sound will increase considerable. Since I installed a Magnaflow muffler and a K&N Apollo filter. The sound of the exhaust is loud. All the alarms on my block go off every morning if I stab the pedal. It will also give you good mileage for the gallon. But thier aren't any SUV with a 4 piston or a V6 that will be able to keep up with you. :wink: Of course in the same catagory.

Once again, Welcome to our little part of the net.

Post to watch regarding this theme. pancake, Derek (the Guru), Checho (Nelson), Moza aka Mohit, (Dr)kidong among many others. Checkout this link for the whole story.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1601&start=0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. I think I have seen that I will have to custom fabricate a heat shield. There doesn't seem to be room for the filter pod and extension with this intake, it's pretty tight in there, so a CAI seems out of the question.

So my next solution I think would be to fabricate a heat shield out of some thin sheet metal, and route some cold air to that area.

I've seen someone in the forum that did a modification to that small panel between the right headlight assembly and top of the bumper. I've looked at this on my car and it seems to be held on with a plastic clip and a single screw, so I'll try and take that off and see what kind of mesh I can get for it. Has anyone else tried this solution or is there a guide to do it, I haven't seen one in the forums, only a picture of the finished product.

I've also seen the solution that uses a hose through the splash guard at the bottom, but that would be a plan B for me.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
I was person who did the mesh under the driver side head light. Pancake also did his. I reinstalled the factory piece because I was just testing to see how much more power I would get with just a little opening. When Derek and Mohit installed the splash guard kit opening with mesh; I heard from them that the power was increase quite a bit. I was a little skeptical at first. I was worried of water getting into the engine compartment. In Puerto Rico it rain quite a bit. Reluctantly I installed it. My only regret was that "Why I didn't do it in the first place." In my opinion, you should do the splash guard opening and install a good header with a good exhaust pipe.

Here you can get mesh at a great price and all the accessories you will need.
http://www.customcargrills.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case, I may just go with your advice and do the splash guard mod. 3" flex tubing and a speaker adapter huh? Sounds easy enough to find. Thanks again!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Time to argue my side now :p

I have a tube that widens and becomes shorter when I compressed it to fit under the headlight. It gives the same amount of area as a hose (not a scoop, but I want to get one of those to collect ALL the air from under the headlight (or make one)). This way you dont have to cut into your guard, the chance of water is less, and it moves the same amount of air. I might attempt to make a scoop with some extra fiberglass I have :idea:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pancake, what kind of tubing did you get? Stuff from a local home improvement place or something? And how did you fit the mesh so cleanly, it looks bent and fitted, you did a great job.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, I spent a good hour or so making the mesh perfect.

The mesh is actually gutter guards for your house, came in a 5 pack. From there I mesured out with the old piece and cut using tin snips. I left room at the top so I could bend 90 degree angles on the top and bottom to give it some support. I might paint it white in the future, people say I should make one for the other side, but that would be pointless, except for looks, which could be balanced with paint.

The tube was semi-hard clothes drying tube. When I squeeze it down, it widens, unfortunately it also bends in towards the middle some when you first squeeze it. After bending it some more I got it to stay in the shape of an oval, and the headlight is enough to hold it in place for now. Eventually I plan on making a fiberglass scoop that will fit under the headlight and collect all the air, blowing it onto the filter, maybe with a sleeve over so only that air gets in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts