Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a LED bar but the battery is in the trunk. Anyone know the proper place? Quite high current 15A

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm installing a LED bar but the battery is in the trunk. Anyone know the proper place? Quite high current 15A

I think most people would recommend tapping directly into 12v auxiliary battery.
Most of the installation instructions I've seen for high current lights run power wires
directly to the battery.
THere's also 15 amp circuits in fuse box under the hood.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Good to be aware that if you're really intending to install a 15A drain on the 12v system, you'll be draining the traction battery and ultimately burning more gasoline to keep it charged. That's an approximate equivalent to running the A/C full blast all the time. When you're stopped you'll be able to watch the traction battery drain out.

That said there are several 12v taps available under the hood in the fuse box.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to be aware that if you're really intending to install a 15A drain on the 12v system, you'll be draining the traction battery and ultimately burning more gasoline to keep it charged. That's an approximate equivalent to running the A/C full blast all the time. When you're stopped you'll be able to watch the traction battery drain out.

That said there are several 12v taps available under the hood in the fuse box.

It will not be on all the time my last 5 miles is pitch black and there is a lot of animals on the road. Here in Sweden we wire aux lighting so it comes on with the stalk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you sure is 15a? Sometimes the fuse is 15a but the power is not quite as much. I did not know that LED bars were so strong. Anyway, I would run the feed straight from the battery. And you also gonna need a 15a switch otherwise you will need a relay.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure is 15a? Sometimes the fuse is 15a but the power is not quite as much. I did not know that LED bars were so strong. Anyway, I would run the feed straight from the battery. And you also gonna need a 15a switch otherwise you will need a relay.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/92131

You are right it's only 9A

It comes with relay, fuse and switch

·
Registered
342 Posts
$699 for a 20" LED light bar? :surprise

"Designed, Engineered, & Assembled in the USA" - for that kind of a premium it should be "made" in the USA and personally signed by Trump too. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you made that base to install the light bar

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

No that is actually a mount to be used behind a license plate. We have wide plates here. I drilled 4 holes its rock solid no vibrations.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No that is actually a mount to be used behind a license plate. We have wide plates here. I drilled 4 holes its rock solid no vibrations.

Nice install. Is output to your expectation? Does it light up wide and far enough to help night driving?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice install. Is output to your expectation? Does it light up wide and far enough to help night driving?
It's great you can spot an elk or deer from ½ mile.

It has almost to good range in some cases.

I don't have a good picture for you but this will give you an idea.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Torque, Thanks. That's impressive output. Money not wasted. Some cheap ebay led bars just glows.

Reactions: edfong

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow !, that was a nice install Torque. Did you do the install your self ? How is the electrical installation done ?
This install I want myself. Deer and Elk collisions is a huge problem here in Norway aswell.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a black plastic box on the driver side. There are fuses and stuff there. I took 12v inside there and routes a wire towards the bottom of the box. Then one cable to ground in the torpedo wall and one blue cable to pin 4 (one of the red wires) there is a 6 pin connector connecting the led headlamp. Pin 4 goes 12v on high beam and 0v on low beam. Then i just wired it into the Rigid Industries wires attached. It has a relay and fuse. No button inside the car yet. Will order some stock toyota button later to put in an emoty slot left of steering wheel

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, I think I also would prefer to have a dedicated switch for the led bar.
Was it difficult to unmount the front ? Is it something most could DIY ?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I think I also would prefer to have a dedicated switch for the led bar.
Was it difficult to unmount the front ? Is it something most could DIY ?

You can do it DIY just plan that it takes 4 hours or so. Most difficult was the electrical install, to get the signal without cutting into the cables.

Ideally you would want to have a 1/0/2 switch where 0=off, 1 on with stalk, 2 on with 12v (for adjustment purposes etc)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rdgrimes: do you know how much amps I can safely take from the driver side fuse box (the one with the jump start flip thing). There are two fat bolts inside that box.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was thinking that some spot lights with xenon bulbs would do fine, but your idea was different. Very cool.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts