Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thing I noticed in the loaner Matrix is that the stereo head unit had RDS (Radio Data System) support, meaning that when I tuned to my favorite radio station, it showed the station's call letters, the name of the artist, and title of the song that was currently playing. RDS is also supposed to display traffic and Amber alerts as necessary.

And the top of the line factory stereo in the RAV -- and actually I don't think any of them support it -- doesn't have RDS.

Grruummble gruumble.... :?

<rant off>

R

·
0 Posts
I don't listen to the radio...so, I don't mind this. But...boy, I love being able to burn MP3s (I think I got 10 CDs on one CDR)...and play away! The display shows the folder, the artist's name, the album, and the song title. I LOVE IT!

I used to listen strictly to my MP3 player... and started doing this with my new RAV as well (LOVE that jack!!). But, it gets hot here in TX...so, I burned a couple of CDRs, and I'm planning on burning more! I like it that I can leave them in the car and not worry about the 140+ degree heat that will be inside the car come these hot summer days destroying my MP3 player. The top compartment of the console is PERFECT to hold the CDRs!

B

·
0 Posts
Its kinda wierd - back home in Europe almost evey car radio will be RDS equiped these days, but from what I've seen its pretty rare here in the States.

Having said that, it makes much more sense in Europe where you have national radio stations broadcasting on different FM frequencies in different areas. As you drive through these different areas an RDS stereo tunes to the strongest signal saving you haveing to re-tune.

Here radio stations all seem to be local only.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, considering the size of the US, you can't have "national" radio stations unless it's satellite... :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts