Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
Last weekend the RAV was due for an oil change and I also did a bit of a tuneup since we've had the vehicle for 25k miles and the previous owner did one a few thousand miles before we bought it.

So, I'm underneath there, just doing the regular check through and I notice a drop of green on the splash shield...ok, so off with the shield and it seems the hose is leaking...so I drain the radiator and pull the hose...not a really old hose, I'd say no more than 2 years old...can't really find a split where it was leaking...so I get another hose from AutoZoned...put that on, tighten it up and we're good to go...

I check the oil this morning and there's another drip of coolant...argh...

Looks like another exploratory for my weekend, either the hose clamps weren't tight enough...which I doubt, or some of the plastic bits that they are clamped to have cracked over time...which I think is more likely...

Bogatyr

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it sounds like a pin-hole leak somwhere....we need pics... :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, haven't checked this thread in a bit...

Well, oddly enough, after swapping out the hose and tightening down the clamps all has seemed good and dry...at least for the last few days...so I think we're good for now.

Thanks,
Bogatyr

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you positive that it is coolant and not dye-charged refrigerant oil instead? The A/C condenser is right there in front of the radiator and if there is regular "green" coolant in the cooling system, it can be mistaken for a coolant leak. Also one way to find a cooling system leak is to manually pressurize the cooling system with a pressure tester that most auto parts stores may have on hand to loan out for a small refundable deposit. I spend a lot of time working on cars & trucks for a living, with my current area being semi-trucks, and lots of times a customer comes in with a coolant leak complaint when it is an A/C system leak. When refrigerant oil & freon are mixed together in an A/C system, the oil turns a sort of greenish color. The same applies if leak detection dye is injected into the A/C system. Just a thought to throw out there is all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts