Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience replacing the 215/70R16's tires with the larger 235/60R16's?

I'm interested in all-season tires that handle well and are quiet.

I live in San Diego, so snow is not an issue, and we average about 10 inches of rainfall per year.

I would assume that since the larger tire size is a factory option, I could keep the factory alloy wheels?

My 2005 came with Toyo Tranpath A-14's, which seem okay so far.

For anyone who has made a switch I'm interested in comparisons on the difference in ride and handling characteristics before and after.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Did you go to a dealership and test drive a model with the
Bridgestone’s?

From what you say about the weather than Tire Rack has 3 summer tires available in the size you want.

Do a search on the size, then click on, all summers, and below truck summers. The rating is very good on the Continental.
Summers are great if it rains but never drive in snow.

I personally would go with Summers.

Good luck, :D

Walt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ravioli said:
Anyone have experience replacing the 215/70R16's tires with the larger 235/60R16's?

I'm interested in all-season tires that handle well and are quiet.

I live in San Diego, so snow is not an issue, and we average about 10 inches of rainfall per year.

I would assume that since the larger tire size is a factory option, I could keep the factory alloy wheels?

My 2005 came with Toyo Tranpath A-14's, which seem okay so far.

For anyone who has made a switch I'm interested in comparisons on the difference in ride and handling characteristics before and after.

Thanks.
Heya Ravioli!! Mira Mesa here! :D

I keep my stock 235/60R 16s(I think they are) Bridgestones for the winter time since I snowboard, and they handle really well in the rain/snow. They are also pretty quiet, but I can't compare them to the smaller size since mine didn't come with them.

Regarding the road noise, the RAV, by default, is a really noisy car. There isn't really any sound damping material to make a difference. I Dynamatted all of my doors and floors, so pretty much any tire I use will be pretty quiet. Something to consider down the line if you start chosing tires based on the amount of noise they produce.

Anyways.. stay dry man.. we're gettin' BEAT with these storms.. we're soo spoiled down here :D Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tires & Dynamat

Thanks for the replies everyone, it sounds there are many good options in the larger tire size. This is encouraging.

Hey Chimster, I'm getting my four doors dynamatted this weekend. Hopefully that will quiet it a bit more and help with bass response. I have MB Quarts in the front and Infinities in the back, powered by 85wpc Eclipse. Alpine deck leading the way. Sounds good already, but a little added bass would be better. I'm not willing to invest in a sub, especially since there no kits for the RAV.

Hope you made it out of the rains okay.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ser02rav4 said:
the same brand, but 235-70R16 Revo, now I`m thinking I was wrong, cuz they do interference with speed/odometer and I have to get additional digital corrector in order to correct my speedometer nd gasmileage.prolly I`ll sale them soon.
Is it that much of a problem ? I went from the OEM 235/60/16 to 225/70/16 without any problems and i was thinking of going to BFG T/A All-Terrain 235/70/16... Is it only a speedometer problem or there is more ?

JR

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nokian

Nokian WR tires come in 236-60/16 and are severe snow rated - not that you'll need it. They are excellent in the rain.

Photos at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2070699

I run Nokian studded tires in the winter - severe snow up here in North Carolina.

I posted some tire photos on my personal gallery. Nokian Hakka 2 Studded Snow Tires and the Nokian SUV All Season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts