Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]Toyota Rav 4 Ltd. V6 3.5L 2007 with 85k miles. One not so fine day about 4+ months back my CEL, VSC, 4WD lights went on. Googled and found it may be O2 sensors. Went to Toyota dealer, they insisted on charging a $125 for diagnosing the problem and came back with AF and O2 sensor replacement for $730. The deal was that they will put the $125 towards the repair if I got it done within a month, which I didn't. I asked for diagnosis details and was handed a single sheet of paper showing Freeze Frame data report - P0138 (1 of 2). I wasn't given the 2 of 2. Anyhow, the car seems to run like always so I ignored till I had to pass inspection. The inspection guy put a rejected sticker and gave papers showing codes P0031 and P2195. Looking up online I see that P0138 corresponds to B1S2 oxygen sensor and P00331 and P2195 correspond to AFS B1S1. Not sure how the problem shifted to from downstream sensor (S2) to upstream sensor (s) in Bank 1. Anyhow, I have 14 days to pass inspection and do not want to hand out the $730 to the dealer. I checked online and see that Amazon is selling the parts for 50-60 bucks (Denso) and would have a certified mechanic install for $99. I am thinking of replacing both B1S1 and B1S2 (wcich would amount to $300+in all) but can't seem to identify the right parts because they go by left right instead of Bank 1 and 2. I have scoured this forum and come to the conclusion that B1 is left side or driver side but there are you tube videos replacing B1S2 on the passenger side. A diagram on the forum shows 6 cylinder with B1 at the back and B2 in front in a square with the an arrow pointing to the front of the square as front of the vehicle, which makes it front B2 and Rear B1 but not Left B and Right B2. I think that the left and right may change depending on whether the car is a right or left driven (UK or US). Can someone please confirm which Bank is right and which left for a US vehicle? [/FONT]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are the parts i am looking at on denso

234-9022

Engine: V6 (3.5L)

CC: 3456

Note: DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer / Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Label: OE Style

Position: Upstream Right

View
Buy
234-9049

Note: DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer / Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Position: Upstream Left

View
Buy
Oxygen Sensor 234-4209

Note: O.E. Quality Universal Replacement Sensor

Label: Universal

Position: Downstream Left

View
Buy
234-4261

Note: DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer / Oxygen Sensor

Position: Downstream Left

View
Buy
234-4501

Note: DENSO is the O.E. Manufacturer / Oxygen Sensor

Position: Downstream Right

·
Registered
170 Posts
Left bank is when your sitting in the car behind the steering wheel. Right bank to the right behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Toyota Rav 4 Ltd. V6 3.5L 2007 with 85k miles. One not so fine day about 4+ months back my CEL, VSC, 4WD lights went on. Googled and found it may be O2 sensors. Went to Toyota dealer, they insisted on charging a $125 for diagnosing the problem and came back with AF and O2 sensor replacement for $730. The deal was that they will put the $125 towards the repair if I got it done within a month, which I didn't. I asked for diagnosis details and was handed a single sheet of paper showing Freeze Frame data report - P0138 (1 of 2). I wasn't given the 2 of 2. Anyhow, the car seems to run like always so I ignored till I had to pass inspection. The inspection guy put a rejected sticker and gave papers showing codes P0031 and P2195. Looking up online I see that P0138 corresponds to B1S2 oxygen sensor and P00331 and P2195 correspond to AFS B1S1. Not sure how the problem shifted to from downstream sensor (S2) to upstream sensor (s) in Bank 1. Anyhow, I have 14 days to pass inspection and do not want to hand out the $730 to the dealer. I checked online and see that Amazon is selling the parts for 50-60 bucks (Denso) and would have a certified mechanic install for $99. I am thinking of replacing both B1S1 and B1S2 (wcich would amount to $300+in all) but can't seem to identify the right parts because they go by left right instead of Bank 1 and 2. I have scoured this forum and come to the conclusion that B1 is left side or driver side but there are you tube videos replacing B1S2 on the passenger side. A diagram on the forum shows 6 cylinder with B1 at the back and B2 in front in a square with the an arrow pointing to the front of the square as front of the vehicle, which makes it front B2 and Rear B1 but not Left B and Right B2. I think that the left and right may change depending on whether the car is a right or left driven (UK or US). Can someone please confirm which Bank is right and which left for a US vehicle? [/FONT]
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177481-o2-sensors.html

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that but is right bank 1 or the left bank 1, see parts identification in my post above listing denso parts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, this diagram is very helpful. so the bank 1 is sort of to the left of bank 2 when viewed sitting on the driver's seat. So I should buy the sensor called upstream and downstream left oxygen/AF sensors. I wish the parts sellers would stick to the B1S1 and so on, as identified in error codes. Would make life so much easier. Thanks again.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts
With all this talk about upstream, downstream, and banks it sounds like we're talking about a river! Here's a simple diagram for the V6:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts
This doesn't help because the banks or not on left and right but rather front and back
Check the diagram again. There is a big red arrow showing the FRONT of the vehicle.

Looking at the front of the engine where the serpentine belt is, that makes Bank 1 (left) on the firewall side and Bank 2 (right) on the radiator side.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes two thousand words.>:D
Not if the pictures don't match the words. :confused:

Looking at the front of the engine where the serpentine belt is, that makes Bank 1 (left) on the firewall side and Bank 2 (right) on the radiator side.
Nope, apparently the correct view is from the output end of the engine as shown in GetGoing's thumbnails. Much as the left & right sides of a vehicle aren't identified by looking from the front but rather from sitting in it or from the rear.

here is my problem, comparing the thumbnail posted by @2011RAV4 with the diagram on Toyota official site for parts, it looks like Bank 1 sensors of the thumbnail correspond to RH (right) sensors of Toyota
Correct! Since Bank 1 is the rear one toward the firewall and has the sensors labeled RH it must be considered the right side of the engine. Conversely Bank 2 is toward the radiator, the front of the vehicle, and has the sensors labeled LH, that makes it the left side of the engine.
Summary:
BANK 1 = REAR = RIGHT
BANK 2 = FRONT = LEFT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts