• Every year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What products, such as scratch remover, wax, car wash, tire cleaner, etc, have you used in the past and have given you such great results that you still use them? I just bough Meguiars's scratch remover and wax, and haven't used it because i want to hear your opinions on different products. I can still return it :p.

I added a poll because i'm curious to see how often you wax your car.

A

·
0 Posts
I only bought mine this July 2005, but I wax my 2003 Corolla LE every spring :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use Zaino for my waxing needs once every 6 months. Mother's plastic polisher for the headlights. Thanks, Miriam. :wink: Mother's Back to Black for all the plastic parts outside and Black Magic Tire foam for the tires. And I use strictly Mr Clean Auto Wash and Dry system for my car. The less rubbing on the paint, the better, I say.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm a Zaino whore. Love how it shines and beads up for months on end.

I tried that Mr Clean wash several times. Wasn't a fan. Leaves some of that polymer in the car wash behind on the car no matter how well you rinse it. Which caused it to sheet instead of bead in rain...which sucked for visibility when driving. But I'll admit it was nice not having to dry the car especially in winter.

I stick to the Zaino wash.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've always used Meguiars and been happy with it but next time i'm going to try Autoglym...my friend has tried it and says he cant go back to Meguiars...even though Meguiars is great.

·
Registered
214 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
What products, such as scratch remover, wax, car wash, tire cleaner, etc, have you used in the past and have given you such great results that you still use them? I just bough Meguiars's scratch remover and wax, and haven't used it because i want to hear your opinions on different products. I can still return it :p.

I added a poll because i'm curious to see how often you wax your car.
Since mine's silver and tends to show dirt, I tend to run my car through the local wash about once a month (only had it since August). Don't know about the type of wax they use, or whether that's too much, but it seems more reasonable to me than just washing it without waxing (which I'd never get around to).

Once a month too much, or what?

Wayne

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Should i return what i just bought and try Zaino? What should i do before starting to wax? What's the clay good for?
What sort of Mequiar's did you get? Meguiar's NXT and Zaino usually end up being the most highly recommended products in threads like this on other boards.

You can only get zaino online from www.zainostore.com, which tends to make Mequiar's more popular since you can get it at the local grocery store.

In my experience, Zaino is the easiest to apply with the best results.

A clay bar makes sure the paint surface is smooth. It will pick up all sorts of things that just washing the car would not. Definitely a preperation step worth doing no matter what wax you use.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wayne said:
Since mine's silver and tends to show dirt, I tend to run my car through the local wash about once a month (only had it since August). Don't know about the type of wax they use, or whether that's too much, but it seems more reasonable to me than just washing it without waxing (which I'd never get around to).

Once a month too much, or what?

Wayne
Are you talking about an automatic car wash or a detailer?

Those spinning brushes in automatic washes are a great way to get swirls and scratches in your paint.

The spray on wax they use is good for a few weeks of minimal protection...

A

·
0 Posts
even though i wax my car every spring, i go to mikes carwash every 2 weeks :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Are you talking about an automatic car wash or a detailer?
Around here, we pretty much have the automated drive-through "brushless" car washes on every major street, not to mention the "buy gas, get a free car wash" types (but I never go there). The place I've been going has pretty much washed all my cars for about the last 15 years without any problems.

My biggest concern, having only had one other silver car in my life is that silver tends to fade, and crack more than any other color I've ever seen (on other vehicles). It's been about 15 years since I've owned a silver car, so I'm hoping they've made drastic improvements in the paint longevity department wherein silver is concerned.

The spray on wax they use is good for a few weeks of minimal protection...
Hence the $10 per month to keep the car clean, ain't so bad (to me) mentality. I personally could find the time to wash the car myself, but waxing.. nah.. not me..

Wayne

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ah 'brushless', in other words sandblasting all that dirt across your paint. My wife used those on her Focus a lot. After 2 years there were fine scratches everywhere.

Wayne said:
Hence the $10 per month to keep the car clean, ain't so bad (to me) mentality. I personally could find the time to wash the car myself, but waxing.. nah.. not me..

Wayne
You seriously can't find a couple hours every 6 months...even once a year to put on a good coat of wax? Especially if you're concerned about fading.

If not pay a detailer to do it...or some kid down the street.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What sort of Mequiar's did you get?
Ok, here's what i got: Meguiar's Scratch X, and cleaner wax. I couldn't help myself so i tried them both yesterday. I don't know if i did everything right, but IMO it didn't work. The scratch remover didn't get rid of the swirls and it seemed like the wax didn't do anything for my hood, which is where i decided to try these products out first. Did i miss anything? I followed directions carefully but nothing happened, not what i was expecting. I'm thinking maybe these products are just for keeping a previously waxed car in perfect conditions, i don't know. I've never waxed my car ever since i got it :oops: :roll:. Should i return these?

Forgot to ask... are those big brushes that can be connected to a hose bad for washing the car? I've been using that and i'm thinking that that's what is causing the car to have swirl marks and light scratches. What do you use to wash your car by hand?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slayer said:
And I use strictly Mr Clean Auto Wash and Dry system for my car. The less rubbing on the paint, the better, I say.
I don't think i'll be able to use that because of horrible water spots that my car gets. Here in Elk Grove water minerals are very bad and this house didn't come with water softener. I wish i could use that cuz it'll be nice not to dry the car after washing it. Washing my car is a very time consuming thing and i take at least 2 hours to wash and dry it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
nouse4aname said:
You seriously can't find a couple hours every 6 months...even once a year to put on a good coat of wax? Especially if you're concerned about fading.
It's not about finding the hours. Waxing a vehicle is simply not a task that I have learned to love in my 15 years of driving.

Around here, detailers can be found, but they're awfully proud of the job they do, according to the prices they ask.

·
Registered
396 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Slayer said:
And I use strictly Mr Clean Auto Wash and Dry system for my car. The less rubbing on the paint, the better, I say.
I don't think i'll be able to use that because of horrible water spots that my car gets. Here in Elk Grove water minerals are very bad and this house didn't come with water softener. I wish i could use that cuz it'll be nice not to dry the car after washing it. Washing my car is a very time consuming thing and i take at least 2 hours to wash and dry it.
Err, it comes with a filter that should filter out those hard minerals from your water supply so that it'll dry spot free. My water's hard, too, which is why I prefer the Mr Clean system. I could never get to every part of the car fast enough to wipe off exces water before it dries and creates spots.

Really, you should try the Zaino system, Miriam. It should get rid of any swirl marks you might have on your hood. I back their products .That's why that's the only sticker I have on my car. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It takes me about an hour to wash and dry my RAV. Not too long considering that when I dry the car, I get into every little nook and cranny to remove water spots. :)

Miriam, do you use car wash solution when washing your RAV? The reason I ask, is that just scrubbing your RAV with water will cause most of the swirl marks/fine scratches in your paint. The reason for the car wash solution (suds) is to lift the dirt particles from your car so that when you scrub it with the brush it wont scratch your car. Also, DO NOT USE dish washing solution, it will remove the wax from your car. Use a dedicated car wash solution, it is less harmful to the polish/wax on your RAV.

Also, when washing your car, start from the top and work your way down. You should also use a different scrub brush/sponge to clean your undercarriage, wheel wells and wheels. This area has the most dirt buildup and brushes/sponges used to clean this area should definitely not be used on the paint surface.

Drying your car should be done with a clean chamois or something similar. I use a product called "the Absorber", it is an artificial type of chamois that works very well in drying wet spots.

The clay bar is used to remove built up contaminants on your paint surface. I just clay barred my 1998 RAV with amazing results. You can actually feel the difference by running your hand over the finished surface. It is definitely much smoother than the non-treated area.

Any polish/wax would give you pretty good results. I have found that Zymol works well for my cars. It is somewhat pricey, but has amazing results. To make the job go faster/easier; you should consider using a small orbital buffer. It applies the wax/polish much more evenly and requires less physical effort. Just remember when wiping off the polish/wax to frequently use a clean wipe cloth. The built up wax/polish residue on the cloth is another way that scratches/swirl marks occur. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wayne said:
nouse4aname said:
It's not about finding the hours. Waxing a vehicle is simply not a task that I have learned to love in my 15 years of driving.

Around here, detailers can be found, but they're awfully proud of the job they do, according to the prices they ask.
Have you tried a synthetic wax like Zaino, NXT, or NuFinish? They're much easier to apply and remove than a traditional wax.

You don't spend half a day doing 'wax-on wax-off' like you used to.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
What sort of Mequiar's did you get?
Ok, here's what i got: Meguiar's Scratch X, and cleaner wax. I couldn't help myself so i tried them both yesterday. I don't know if i did everything right, but IMO it didn't work. The scratch remover didn't get rid of the swirls and it seemed like the wax didn't do anything for my hood, which is where i decided to try these products out first. Did i miss anything? I followed directions carefully but nothing happened, not what i was expecting. I'm thinking maybe these products are just for keeping a previously waxed car in perfect conditions, i don't know. I've never waxed my car ever since i got it :oops: :roll:. Should i return these?

Forgot to ask... are those big brushes that can be connected to a hose bad for washing the car? I've been using that and i'm thinking that that's what is causing the car to have swirl marks and light scratches. What do you use to wash your car by hand?
Scratch-X is more of a spot treatment product, than an all over wax. Rubbing something like that on the car certainly isn't going to get rid of several years worth of swirls.

To get rid of those you're probably going to need a polish job with an orbital buffer...which you're probably best off letting a professional do.

I'd say you're right on target with that brush causing your swirls.

I usually use a cotton chenille wash mitt. Sheepskin and natural sponges are popular alternatives. Use 100% cotton towels(real nuts use cloth diapers) for drying.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts