• Rally Liq

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The years that I’ve have been a member of this forum. Car Polish and car wax are always an important subject in this and other forum. Who doesn’t like to always see their RAV4 looking good all year round? So I went around the net to check what is the latest information. That said, I love to get some feed back regarding with is the most used Wax/Polish for the RAV4. This is a leading consumer magazine on washing, waxing and polishing cars and other interesting information.

Washing and cleaning

Wash, engine
Q. Many coin-operated sprayer car washes have an engine-wash setting. I've been wondering if there is any danger in spraying a hot engine with an aluminum head with the cold water from these sprayers?
A. I do see a danger in spraying a hot engine with cold water. If you are going to degrease or clean your engine compartment, my suggestion is to let is cool first, or do not do it. There are other risk factors with the engine compartment. If certain items such as computers and distributors are not properly sealed, you could do more harm than good. If you have not performed this job before, it may be worth it to send it to a professional detail shop and have them handle it.

Wash, undercarriage
Q. I went to the beach this past weekend and I have a lot of salt water spots on my car. I will wash the car to make sure it does not eat through my paint and the finish. However, I was wondering if I should try to wash the undercarriage of the car.
A. Just go ahead and wash down the underside of your car. There is nothing under there that will be harmed. The chassis is normally exposed to the elements. Just make sure the pressure on the hose is not so great that it might knock a hose off, or pull hard on any wiring.

Wash/polish, acid-rain protectant
Q. I would like to know if there is any advantage to having acid rain protectant applied to my new car's finish. I am not able to garage my car for protection from the weather.
A. If you wax your car 3 to 4 times per year, I see no advantage to spending the money. If you very rarely wax your car, it may be worth it, but it doesn't last forever. The best thing to do is take care of the paint yourself with proper cleaning and waxing.

Wash/polish, how-to
Q. Do you recommend a specific brand of car wash product? I plan on doing it the "old-fashioned" way; just a sponge and a bucket, no power washer.
A. I like to use a liquid car wash. I think most of them are fine. I do not believe, however, in using a car wash that contains wax. Do that it two separate steps.

Wash-polish-shine products
Q. To keep the dash and tires shiny, is something like "Armor all" sufficient, or is there a better product out there?
A. I think as far as "shine" products go, they all get the job done well. It becomes a matter of personal taste based on the results. Some have more shine; others leave a duller finish.

Wash/polish, spray wax
Q. When I go to the local car wash, I often wonder if I'm just wasting my time and money using the spray wax. Does this stuff actually work?
A. Washing and waxing should be done in two steps, preferably by hand. The car washes spray a water and wax solution on your car and it does leave some of it on the paint, but it also leaves it on your windshield, the wipers and everything else that does not need to be waxed. The result is nowhere near as good as doing it yourself. I feel it is not worth the money.

Wash/polish, tree sap
Q. I have tree sap from a pine all over my hood. I have tried all the products on the market but none seem to remove the pine sap. Any ideas?
A. This is a tough one and even the body shop we deal with does not have a cure-all. The best way we have found is to use a professional automotive paint-prep solvent and rags. Soak the sap and wipe, but don't let the solvent sit too long or you could ruin the paint.

It will take several attempts to let the solvent break down the sap enough to be wiped. Every time you wipe the sap, some will be removed and some will spread. Just continue till it is gone, then buff the area with a compound and finally, wax. This can be time consuming and tricky. If you do not feel comfortable working with these chemicals, consult your local body shop.

Wash, winter
Q. Is it recommended to wash the road salt off your vehicle when the temperature outside is below freezing?
A. Wait until it is above freezing to get the job done. But the sooner you can get to it the better.

Washing after applying wax
Q. A couple of weeks ago, I applied a coat of cleaner/wax to my car. If I take it to the local car wash when it gets dirty, will that remove the wax? Or should I just wash the car myself?
A. A good wax should not wash off immediately, but detergents will affect it. If you wash the car yourself you can control the amount of detergent that you use. Unless the car is a mess, a few drops should suffice. If you use a car wash you may need to wax more frequently.

Which Car Wax/Polish do you use?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use the Meguiars 3 steps, great stuff, easy on, easy off, long lasting shine.
I must say that Autoglym is even better, I used it while I lived in Holland, cannot get it here

B

·
0 Posts
Meguiar’s Liquid not paste. Like $10 bucks a bottle. Goes a long way, lasts a long time and shine is great! I use an electric buffer though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Meguiar's Gold, both when I had the 4.1 and now on the 4.2. I also use the higher quality (as opposed to their basic leather product) Meguiar's leather product on my seats (the name is escaping me, but it's fantastic stuff).

Becky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts