Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...I am in the hunt for a used Rav 4 in the $5000 range if possible, somewhere in the 2002-5 range i'm guessing? With as little kms as possible..lol....OR is there a better year to go after just because...?
What i'm asking was there a year or model to stay away from? I am mechanically capable but my back and neck is forcing me to stop the harder issues now a days! AUGH....

We presently own a 2005 Echo and it's fantastic, plain and simple. 500K and still drives like day one and still gets 50 mpg...who would have thought?
I bought it new and hate to part with it as the fuel economy has seriously spoiled me for anything else. But the wife has semi put her foot down now and said she wants a 4X4 or all wheel drive vehicle for our wnter conditions. She drives 1 and a half hours each way to work ...so I have to bend.!

So, fuel economy is in the picture, not that interested in lack of power when you compare a V6 to a 4. I am after reliability and no rust....I can fix mechanical issues easy enough but body work I call it quits with now a days...lol.

So please school me on what you would suggest is best and what to watch out for.

Being a Toyota I can't see much being wrong with this little vehicle, right?

Thanks so much...

Willys

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Many 2006-2008 models with the 2.4l four cylinder engine used/burned copious amounts of oil. Toyota is rebuilding these engines if the consumption meets their criteria. In short steer clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the honest answer....I ride a Kawi KLR650 and it happened with their 08-010 model years very same thing, had to rebore them to stop it, bad ring tensions and poor boring imho were the cause for that f'up....they also did the consumption deal....but it was far easier to simply get the big bore kit jamed in.....and much quicker....this is the reason I asked. All manufacturers seem to have a few bad years and I couldn't think Toyota was imune to this fact.
Are there any other magor issues I need to understand with any other years? Small stuff I can deal with it's just engine and tranny issues I am worried about or I guess high dollar ones that force me to go to a dealer.

Thanks so much once again

I had found a extremely clean low milage 07 for far less than I was expecting, from a small dealer and couldn't understand why it was so cheap....You saved me some serious money.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Willys said:
...I am in the hunt for a used Rav 4 in the $5000 range if possible, somewhere in the 2002-5 range...

I think you're on the right track looking at those years for your price range. Not sure of availability in Ontario, but in the states you can find some good ones for $5K USD. Example:

Cars for Sale: Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 4WD for sale in Pittsburgh, PA 15237: Sport Utility Details - 405322040 - Autotrader

For issues you may face, be sure to browse through the 'gen 4.2' part of the forum. There are some who have racked up some big miles and should give you some ideas:

4.2 General - Toyota RAV4 Forums

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again thanks for the help....great to see the flow of info starting before i happen to make a mistake of a specific year etc, thanks....money doesn't grow on trees any more, retired and now have to think before buying...lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have narrowed down the search for the 2002-2005 years....thanks....plus accept a bit higher mileages than the newer units and lower price tag....now i know the issues with the next generation of these vehicles....again I appreciate the honesty.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
The old beliefs that ALL Toyotas are bulletproof is no longer true although it used to be a few decades ago. Toyota now screws up just like GM. They take a long time to correct screwups but only if they are caught in the act and forced to do so by consumers or government. The days of buy any Toyota model with confidence regardless of mileage no longer apply. It's a crying shame but it is no longer the tower of dependability as it once was. They cut corners just like everyone else for the sake of the almighty dollar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the main reasons I am after this above the other SUV's on the meaket is their gas mileages, 5 better than the comparable vehicles so they claim? I am also expecting them to be slightly better made and get hopefully outlast the others...fingers crossed. I have a 2005 Echo and it's been fantastic, a lemon maybe lol...but it still drives like new, same gas consumption just a bit of surface rust after 500,000kms....so this has me semi sold.....I have a buddy who's wife also said she loved this version of the Rav 4.....not the newer versions...just a good simple machine that got the job done without many faults etc... Plus easy to operate....as bad as that is to say....lol.How difficult is it to operate any vehicle....lol.
Again, thanks for the hnest replies....they are worth their weight in as they say gold...lol. You have got me to go for an older version that i was going to pull the trigger on thinking the deal was a good one. 2007 with low mileages tec for a great price, now i understand why...lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Was it the four cylinder? Keep in mind that if the owner can prove Toyota rebuilt the engine that's a big plus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know.I am assuming so as I was only after the 4 cylinder but never asked about this one......simply ran away....lol
Didn't even go and look at it which was a plus as it looked immaculate....and i would have bought it without knowing...I was waiting for a buddy who works for AutoTrader to speak with dealer to see how much he could get off the price as a personal favor....did the fix actually fix it or simply prolong it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can attest to the fact that the fix for the 2.4 L 4 cylinder FIXES the oil consumption issue. I bought my 2008 as a used vehicle,which the original buyer experienced high oil use within his first year of ownership. Toyota did the engine repair on it (under warranty) in 2009,and it currently has around 90,000 miles on it and doesn't consume ANY oil between 5000 mile oil changes. If the rebuild is done properly (newer design pistons,etc.) these engines are just fine.

Nick G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is so similar to my Kawi KLR650 and their issues, poor rings and warped sleeves from the factory, as soon as they rebore and install better rings and piston it completely fixed. Hmmmm........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after days of FB and youtube reading and watching i have semi figured this out maybe...lol

It seems the 2004 and 2005 model years are the better ones to search for....slightly better engine 2.4 is this correct? OR is this the begining of the same head bolt pulling that the later years experienced? It does seem that these years are harder to find near me...which makes me wonder, maybe it's true and their owners simply see no need to trade them in?
I do see plenty of ECU or computer issues with them though that can be fixed by resoldering the cold solder type joints on specific resistors etc....again....is this true?

I'm very sorry to keep asking these questions and very much appreciate your responces.....It's great to see owners actually coming forth and speaking of what they have experienced and how they fixd the problems they have experienced and not simply hidden in the woodwork as many owners do not wanting to help other future owner...very sad....no here though..which is very refreshing.
Thanks again
Jonathan

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
From what I have read only the 2.4l engines for 06-08 were affected. That is all models including the Camry.

If you drive a V-6 just once you'll throw rocks at all of the four bangers......it's that good. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
All RAV4 generations are excellent vehicles... but all models have forces and downsides. As a mechanic, I do regularly maintenance/repairs on many RAV4 from all generations, and would buy any of them with peace of mind.

RAV4.1 are getting old and often rotted by rust (at least in Quebec! lol). The fact that they have a timing belt maintenance is a turn off for some people. The 4.1 have the better ''serious'' off road capabilities with the transfer-case locker and lower final drive ratio (manual transmission). Some came with a rear LSD differential. If you are mostly driving on the highway, fuel economy goes ''bad''... fifth gear is too short.

I personally have a 4.2 because I prefer the look over the 4.1. The 2.0L 1AZ (chain driven timing, direct ignition coils, etc) make it cheaper to maintain. The 1AZ is a good upgrade over the older 3SFE for the powerband also. The 2004-2005 RAV4 have 2.4L 2AZ engine. Even if it seems that some people have oïl consumption and head-bolts problems (personally never saw the head bolts problem on a 4.2), this engine makes the RAV4.2 more fun and practical to drive... it should have come with the 2.4L from the beginning! The transfer case is a viscous type. It does the job very well in most situations, but for more ''serious'' off road, a lock would have been handy. Limited came with a rear LSD. The manual transmssion's fifth gear is not highway speed friendly (talking fuel efficiency).

I like the fact that 4.1 and 4.2 rear axles are very easy to take off. Only need to remove the 4 bolts that hold them to the stub axles in the diff. 4.3+ are not as easier to do. You can also source a LSD from a Celica 4WD and put it in 4.1/4.2 rear diff.

RAV4.3 have more space, and have softer suspension. But they don't exist (here in north america) with a manual transmission. :( The rear diff is very different from the 4.1/4.2. They have an electro-magnetic coupling bolted to it.... and I replaced many of them. It can be fully locked below about 40kmh, so it's handy in some situation. The 4 cyl 2.5 is a pretty good engine... but the auto transmission mated to it is not setted for performance. It's often frustrating going from a stop and climbing a hill when the transmission don't want to downshift... it becomes very slow. The V6 is powerful and would have been so fun with a manual transmission! The 4.3 rear seats are not completely removable like they are in the 4.1/4.2. RAV4.3 have some EVAP problems, that can be easily resolved without changing all the parts the TSB tells to change ($$$$).

So this is a bit of the main differences I have in mind now between the 3 generations that apply to your budget.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
A couple of minor corrections, Commando. The 4.3 RAV4 doesn't have a viscous coupler, it has an electro-magnetic clutch coupler. And the V6 has 3 timing chains, no belt!

·
Registered
482 Posts
A couple of minor corrections, Commando. The 4.3 RAV4 doesn't have a viscous coupler, it has an electro-magnetic clutch coupler. And the V6 has 3 timing chains, no belt!

Yeah you're allright! I edited my mistakes, thank-you! For the V6; I had in mind the MZ engines in older Camry, Sienna, Highlander, etc. And for the coupler I know it's electro-magnetic. I used the wrong term wanting to answer fast. But even if the electronic solenoid is disconnected, some power still go to the wheels and make rotate them like if there was a viscous inside (at least on a lift).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts